Chair of Chemistry
My main interests are in Materials Chemistry, Surface Chemistry and Catalysis. The theme of the research is the understanding and application of materials and surface chemistry at the molecular level. This involves the synthesis of new materials, the characterization of these, and the development of applications in areas such as adsorption, heterogeneous catalysis, and host:guest chemistry. Examples of materials studied are microporous zeolites and zeolite analogues, new classes of mesoporous silica and carbon materials, nanocrystalline titanium oxides and thin films, and organic: inorganic composites.
Strong emphasis is placed on spectroscopic techniques for the molecular characterization of solids and surfaces. These techniques include FTIR spectroscopy and microscopy, Raman spectroscopy and microscopy, ESR spectroscopy, solid state NMR spectroscopy, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy (involving the use of synchrotron radiation). X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy are used routinely for structural characterization, and surface analysis by techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and electron microprobe analysis plays an important role. We are particularly interested in developing environmental applications such as ion exchange of heavy metals, selective adsorption of organic pollutants, photocatalytic oxidation of volatile organic compounds and catalytic conversion of ozone depleting halocarbons to more environmentally benign alternatives .
- Zeolite catalysts for the conversion of Halons and CFCs (collaboration with Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Newcastle, Australia)
- Electron transfer processes in organic molecules occluded in mesoporous solid hosts (collaboration with Prof M Paddon-Row, University of New South Wales, Australia).
- Preparation, properties and photoreactivity of zeolites with semiconducting frameworks.
- Generation of semiconductor arrays in microporous single crystal hosts.
- New mesoporous silicas and carbons as selective adsorbents and catalyst supports
- CM1010 Chemistry 1A: Fundamentals
- CM2007 Shapes, Properties and Reactions of Molecules
- CM3518 Molecular Structure and Reactivity
- CM4017/CM4024 Honours/Advanced Chemistry
- CM5003 MChem Chemistry Applications
Page 1 of 8 Results 1 to 25 of 176
- Minova, IB, Matam, SK, Greenaway, A, Catlow, CRA, Frogley, MD, Cinque, G, Wright, PA & Howe, RF 2019, 'Elementary Steps in the Formation of Hydrocarbons from Surface Methoxy Groups in HZSM-5 seen by Synchrotron Infrared Microspectroscopy', ACS Catalysis, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 6564-6570. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.9b01820
- Krisnandi, YK, Nurani, DA, Agnes, A, Pertiwi, R, Antra, NF, Anggraeni, AR, Azaria, AP & Howe, RF 2019, 'Hierarchical MnOx/ZSM-5 as heterogeneous catalysts in conversion of delignified rice husk to levulinic acid', Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 115-123. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.22146/ijc.28332
- Zachariou, A, Hawkins, A, Lennon, D, Parker, SF, Suwardiyanto, Matam, SK, Catlow, CRA, Collier, P, Hameed, A, McGregor, J & Howe, RF 2019, 'Investigation of ZSM-5 catalysts for dimethylether conversion using inelastic neutron scattering', Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 569, pp. 1-7. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2018.10.010
- Hawkins, AP, O'Malley, AJ, Zachariou, A, Collier, P, Ewings, RA, Silverwood, IP, Howe, RF, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2019, 'Investigation of the Dynamics of 1-Octene Adsorption at 293 K in a ZSM-5 Catalyst by Inelastic and Quasielastic Neutron Scattering', Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 417-425. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b08420
- Hawkins, AP, Zachariou, A, Collier, P, Ewings, RA, Howe, RF, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2019, 'Low-temperature studies of propene oligomerization in ZSM-5 by inelastic neutron scattering spectroscopy', RSC Advances, vol. 9, no. 33, pp. 18785-18790. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c9ra03568k
- Howe, RF, Suwardiyanto, Price, DJ, Castro, M, Wright, PA, Greenaway, A, Frogley, MD & Cinque, G 2018, 'Reactions of Dimethylether in Single Crystals of the Silicoaluminophosphate STA-7 Studied via Operando Synchrotron Infrared Microspectroscopy', Topics in Catalysis, vol. 61, no. 3-4, pp. 1-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11244-018-0890-9
- Matam, SK, Howe, RF, Thetford, A & Catlow, CRA 2018, 'Room temperature methoxylation in zeolite H-ZSM-5: an operando DRIFTS/mass spectrometric study', Chemical Communications, vol. 54, no. 91, pp. 12875-12878. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c8cc07444e
- Matam, SK, O'Malley, AJ, Catlow, CRA, Suwardiyanto, Collier, P, Hawkins, AP, Zachariou, A, Lennon, D, Silverwood, IP, Parker, SF & Howe, RF 2018, 'The effects of MTG catalysis on methanol mobility in ZSM-5', Catalysis Science & Technology, vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 3304-3312. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CY00422F
- Suwardiyanto, , Howe, RF, Gibson, EK, Catlow, CRA, Hameed, A, McGregor, J, Collier, P, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2017, 'An assessment of hydrocarbon species in the methanol-to-hydrocarbon reaction over a ZSM-5 catalyst', Faraday Discussions, vol. 197, pp. 447-471. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c6fd00195e
- Wang, X, Saba, T, Yiu, HHP, Howe, RF, Anderson, JA & Shi, J 2017, 'Cofactor NAD(P)H regeneration inspired by heterogeneous pathways', Chem, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 621-654. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2017.04.009
- Caux, M, Fina, F, Irvine, JTS, Idriss, H & Howe, R 2017, 'Impact of the annealing temperature on Pt/g-C3N4 structure, activity and selectivity between photodegradation and water splitting', Catalysis Today, vol. 287, pp. 182-188. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2016.11.007
- Howe, RF, McGregor, J, Parker, SF, Collier, P & Lennon, D 2016, 'Application of Inelastic Neutron Scattering to the Methanol-to-Gasoline Reaction Over a ZSM-5 Catalyst', Catalysis Letters, vol. 146, no. 7, pp. 1242-1248. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-016-1742-5
- Krisnandi, YK, Samodro, BA, Sihombing, R & Howe, RF 2015, 'Direct synthesis of methanol by partial oxidation of methane with oxygen over cobalt modified mesoporous H-ZSM-5 catalyst', Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 263-268. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.14499/ijc-v15i3p263-268
- Rhydderch, S & Howe, RF 2015, 'In-situ EPR Studies of Reaction Pathways in Titania Photocatalyst-Promoted Alkylation of Alkenes', Molecules, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 4055-4070. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20034055
- Howe, RF 2015, Spectroscopic Methods for Investigating Reaction Pathways. in DW Bahnemann & PKJ Robertson (eds), Environmental Photochemistry: Part III. Handbook of Environmental Chemistry, vol. 35, Springer Verlag, pp. 267-300. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/698_2014_255
- Greenaway, A, Gonzalez-Santiago, B, Donaldson, PM, Frogley, MD, Cinque, G, Sotelo, J, Moggach, S, Shiko, E, Brandani, S, Howe, RF & Wright, PA 2014, 'In situ Synchrotron IR Microspectroscopy of CO2 Adsorption on Single Crystals of the Functionalized MOF Sc-2(BDC-NH2)(3)', Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 53, no. 49, pp. 13483-13487. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201408369
- Eschenroeder, ECV, Turrina, A, Picone, AL, Cinque, G, Frogley, MD, Cox, PA, Howe, RF & Wright, PA 2014, 'Monitoring the Activation of Copper-Containing Zeotype Catalysts Prepared by Direct Synthesis Using in Situ Synchrotron Infrared Microcrystal Spectroscopy and Complementary Techniques', Chemistry of Materials, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1434-1441. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/cm403534b
- Perret, N, Alexander, A-M, Hunter, SM, Chung, P, Hargreaves, JSJ, Howe, RF & Keane, MA 2014, 'Synthesis, characterisation and hydrogenation performance of ternary nitride catalysts', Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 488, pp. 128-137. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2014.09.026
- Folli, A, Bloh, JZ, Beukes, E-P, Howe, RF & Macphee, DE 2013, 'Photogenerated Charge Carriers and Paramagnetic Species in (W,N)-Codoped TiO2 Photocatalysts under Visible-Light Irradiation: An EPR Study', The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 117, no. 42, pp. 22149-22155. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/jp408181r
- MacDonald, IR, Dixon, S, Holt, E, Grant, N, Storey, JMD & Howe, RF 2012, 'EPR studies of electron and hole trapping in titania photocatalysts', Catalysis Today, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 39-45. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2011.08.039
- Jordana, R, Howe, RF & Guan, H 2012, Retention and release of scale inhibitor in clay minerals. in Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Oilfield Scale 2012., SPE-156019-MS, Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Oilfield Scale 2012, Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 30/05/12. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2118/156019-MS
- Manley, D, McBurney, R, Miller, P, Howe, RF, Rhydderch, S & Walton, J 2012, 'Unconventional titania photocatalysis: direct deployment of carboxylic acids in alkylations and annulations', Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 33, pp. 13580-13583. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja306168h
- Lozinska, M, Mangano, E, Mowat, J, Shepherd, AM, Howe, RF, Thompson, S, Parker, J, Brandani, S & Wright, P 2012, 'Understanding carbon dioxide adsorption on univalent cation forms of the flexible zeolite Rho at conditions relevant to carbon capture from flue gases', Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 42, pp. 17628-17642. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja3070864
- Howe, R, Macdonald, R, Dixon, S & Holt, E 2011, 'EPR studies of hole and electron trapping in titania photocatalysts', ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts.
- Murdoch, M, Waterhouse, GIN, Nadeem, MA, Metson, JB, Keane, MA, Howe, RF, Llorca, J & Idriss, H 2011, 'The effect of gold loading and particle size on photocatalytic hydrogen production from ethanol over Au/TiO2 nanoparticles', Nature Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 489-492. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/NCHEM.1048