Chair of Chemistry
My main interests are in Materials Chemistry, Surface Chemistry and Catalysis. The theme of the research is the understanding and application of materials and surface chemistry at the molecular level. This involves the synthesis of new materials, the characterization of these, and the development of applications in areas such as adsorption, heterogeneous catalysis, and host:guest chemistry. Examples of materials studied are microporous zeolites and zeolite analogues, new classes of mesoporous silica and carbon materials, nanocrystalline titanium oxides and thin films, and organic: inorganic composites.
Strong emphasis is placed on spectroscopic techniques for the molecular characterization of solids and surfaces. These techniques include FTIR spectroscopy and microscopy, Raman spectroscopy and microscopy, ESR spectroscopy, solid state NMR spectroscopy, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy (involving the use of synchrotron radiation). X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy are used routinely for structural characterization, and surface analysis by techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and electron microprobe analysis plays an important role. We are particularly interested in developing environmental applications such as ion exchange of heavy metals, selective adsorption of organic pollutants, photocatalytic oxidation of volatile organic compounds and catalytic conversion of ozone depleting halocarbons to more environmentally benign alternatives .
- Zeolite catalysts for the conversion of Halons and CFCs (collaboration with Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Newcastle, Australia)
- Electron transfer processes in organic molecules occluded in mesoporous solid hosts (collaboration with Prof M Paddon-Row, University of New South Wales, Australia).
- Preparation, properties and photoreactivity of zeolites with semiconducting frameworks.
- Generation of semiconductor arrays in microporous single crystal hosts.
- New mesoporous silicas and carbons as selective adsorbents and catalyst supports
- CM1010 Chemistry 1A: Fundamentals
- CM2007 Shapes, Properties and Reactions of Molecules
- CM3518 Molecular Structure and Reactivity
- CM4017/CM4024 Honours/Advanced Chemistry
- CM5003 MChem Chemistry Applications
Page 4 of 18 Results 31 to 40 of 176
- Macdonald, IR, Howe, RF, Saremi-Yarahmadi, S & Wijayantha, KGU 2010, 'Photoinduced Superparamagnetism in Nanostructured a-Fe203', The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 1, no. 16, pp. 2488-2492. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/jz100650w
- Saxton, CG, Kruth, A, Castro, M, Wright, PA & Howe, RF 2010, 'Xenon adsorption in synthetic chabazite zeolites', Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 129, no. 1-2, pp. 68-73. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2009.08.034
- Yeates, RM, Murdoch, MJ, Southon, PD, McLaughlin, A, Howe, RF, Bonino, F, Bordiga, S & Damin, A 2009, 'AM-6: a microporous one-dimensional ferromagnet', Dalton Transactions, no. 38, pp. 8025-8032. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/b908099f
- Hargreaves, JSJ, Howe, RF, McKay, D, Morrison, E, Rico, JL & Stockenhuber, M 2009, 'Nitridation of MoO3/HZSM-5 and Fe-MoO3/HZSM-5', Topics in Catalysis, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1559-1565. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11244-009-9288-z
- Howe, RF 2008, Catalytic Dehalogenation. in G Ertl, H Knözinger, F Schüth & J Weitkamp (eds), Handbook of Heterogenous Catalysis. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, pp. 2385-2393. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527610044.hetcat0122
- Han, H, Paddon-Row, M & Howe, RF 2008, 'Charge Separation in Mesoporous Aluminosilicates', Research on Chemical Intermediates, vol. 34, no. 5-7, pp. 551-564. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/156856708784795699
- Howe, RF, Robertson, PKJ & Mills, A 2008, 'Preface to the Special Issue on Selected Papers from the Second International Conference on Semiconductor Photochemistry SP-2', International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2008, no. Special Issue, 258561. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/258561
- Ji, Z, Murdoch, M, Callahan, DM, Warzywoda, J, Howe, RF & Sacco, A 2008, Probing the "Quality" of intrinsic semiconducting-O-Ti-O-Ti- chains in titanosilicate ETS-10. in AIChE100 - 2008 AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings. 2008 AIChE Annual Meeting, AIChE 100, Philadelphia, PA, United States, 16/11/08.
- Anderson, JA & Howe, RF 2007, Adsorption of Probe Molecules on Nanostructured Oxides. in JA Rodriguez & M Fernandez-Garcia (eds), Synthesis, Properties and Applications of Oxide Nanomaterials. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Hoboken, NJ, pp. 311-334. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470108970.ch11
- Murdoch, M, Yeates, R & Howe, RF 2007, 'Photoreactivity of TSP: A novel microporous titanosilicate', Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 101, no. 1-2, pp. 184-190. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2006.10.029