Chair in Law
Professor Paterson trained as a solicitor in the Office of the Solicitor to the Secretary of State for Scotland before pursuing an academic career. After studying at the EUI, Florence, Italy, he was a Research Assistant at the Centre de Philosophie du Droit, Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium, where he worked principally on the Governance Project with the Forward Studies Unit of the European Commission. He was Senior Lecturer and then Reader at the University of Westminster between 1998 and 2004 when he joined the University of Aberdeen as a Reader. He was appointed Professor of Law in August 2011. He was Acting Head of School 2011-12 and Vice Principal for Internationalisation 2016-18. He is a co-founder of the Centre for Energy Law and directs Aberdeen's involvement in the North Sea Energy Law Programme.
His research has covered systems theory, the regulation of risk, governance in the EU, corporate governance and energy law. He has been involved in a number of international projects both in research and teaching. He has provided specialist training in oil and gas law and corporate governance for the corporate sector, expert advice in international arbitration, and consultancy to international organisations. He is series editor (together with Professor Julian Webb) of the Law, Science and Society series published by Routledge-Cavendish.
- Further Info
PhD Supervision Interests
Prof. Paterson is interested in supervising research students working in the following areas: corporate governance, legal theory and energy law.
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 10 of 47
- Gordon, GW, Paterson, JB & Vass, U 2018, The Wood Review and Maximising Economic Recovery Upon the UKCS. in G Gordon, J Paterson & E Üșenmez (eds), UK Oil and Gas Law: Current Practice and Emerging Trends: Volume I: Resource Management and Regulatory Law. 3 edn, vol. 1, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, pp. 133-169.
- Gordon, GW, Paterson, JB & Usenmez, E 2018, UK Oil and Gas Law: Current Issues and Emerging Trends: Volume I: Research Management and Regulatory Law. vol. 1, 3 edn, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- Gordon, GW, Paterson, JB & Usenmez, E 2018, UK Oil and Gas Law: Current Issues and Emerging Trends: Volume II: Commercial and Contract Law Issues. vol. 2, 3 edn, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- Paterson, J 2017, A systems theory perspective on the principle of precaution employing critical discourse analysis. in A Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos (ed.), Research Methods in Environmental Law: A Handbook., 15, Handbooks of Research Methods in Law series, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 364-395.
- Paterson, J 2017, UKCS Health, Safety and Environmental Law and Regulation. in Offshore Oil and Gas Operations, Principles and Practice: Environment, Health and Safety Management, International Centre for Oil and the Environment. vol. 1, 14.
- Paterson, JB 2016, Decommissioning Offshore Installations: international, regional and domestic legal regimes in the light of emergent commercial, political, environmental and fiscal concerns’. in AMPLA Yearbook 2015. AMPLA.
- Gordon, G, McHarg, AM & Paterson, JB 2016, Energy Law in the United Kingdom. in M Roggenkamp, C Redgwell, A Ronne & I del Guayo (eds), Energy Law in Europe. 3rd edn, Oxford University Press, pp. 1053-1136.
- Gordon, G, McHarg, A & Paterson, J 2016, Energy Law in the United Kingdon. in M Roggenkamp, C Redgwell, A Ronne & I Del Guayo (eds), Energy Law in Europe. OUP Oxford, Oxford, pp. 1053-1136.
- Paterson, JB 2016, Health and safety during decommissioning. in M Hammerson (ed.), Oil and Gas Decommissioning: Law, Policy and Comparative Practice. 2 edn, pp. 157-175.
- Paterson, J 2016, 'Health, Safety and Environmental Regulation on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf in the Aftermath of the Macondo Disaster', Louisiana State University (LSU) Journal of Energy Law and Resources, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 259-272.