MyAberdeen is a web-based Virtual Learning Environment and Course Management Solution. It provides access to course materials, including lectures, tutorial documentation, assessments and quizzes.
- Announcements: Course staff may post announcements for students to read. These can be found under the announcement tab, or can be made to pop-up when a student accesses Blackboard.
- Chat: This function allows those students who are online to chat in real time with other students in their class section.
- Discussions: This feature allows students and course staff to create a discussion thread and reply to ones already created.
- Mail: Blackboard mail allows students and course staff to send mail to one another. This feature supports mass emailing to students in a course.
- Course content: This feature allows course staff to post articles, assignments, videos etc.
- Calendar: Course staff can use this function to post due dates for assignments and tests.
- Learning modules: This feature is often used for strictly online classes. It allows course staff to post different lessons for students to access.
- Assessments: This allows course staff to post quizzes and exams and allows students to access them via the internet
- Assignments: This features allows assignments to be posted and students to submit assignments online
- Grade Book: Course staff may post grades on Blackboard for students to view.
- Media Library: Videos and other media may be posted under this function.
- All members of the University
- Approved External Staff involved in the delivery of teaching
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year (except for maintenance)
The service is managed by the eLearning Team, Centre for Academic Development and technical operations are managed by Blackboard Managed Hosting. Courses are routinely backed up and annually archived. In most cases, courses can be restored – please contact the eLearning team for details. As this is dependent on a number of factors, there is no Service Level Agreement.
Blackboard offer a 99.9% uptime Service Level Agreement.
- Staff support is provided by the eLearning Team within the Centre for Academic Development (firstname.lastname@example.org or 01224 273765).
- Student support is provided by the IT Service Desk.
- Documentation is available within the Help tab of MyAberdeen or from http://help.blackboard.com
Accounts are set-up automatically using data feeds from the relevant systems (HR, Student Records). Additional requests can be made via the eLearning Team or the Service Desk.
Course Areas are rolled forward every year, in discussion with the School. Additional requests can be made via the eLearning Team.
Development work can be requested from the Academic Applications Development Team, but must be approved by the MyAberdeen Steering Group. Please contact Mr Ian Robotham to discuss the requirements.
- Users are expected to comply with the University’s Conditions for using IT Facilities
- Users are expected to comply with policies on E-Copyright (policy currently under review) and Electronic Publishing
- Users are responsible for managing their content within their course areas
- No charge