Some guidance on dealing with emails 'phishing' for your personal details
What is happening?
Although the University routinely intercepts and blocks between 200,000 and 250,000 spam emails per day, some spam emails do get into your email inbox. Once again, there have been some examples of “phishing” emails that have successfully deceived users into divulging personal data.
What should you do?
The DIT Service Desk will NEVER ask you to reveal your personal details in an email or request that you reply with any personal or password details. IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT ABOUT THE ORIGIN OF ANY SUCH EMAIL, CONTACT THE DIT SERVICE DESK DIRECTLY.
If you have received such an email please do not respond to the email and delete it immediately. It will not be a genuine email from the University of Aberdeen. If you reply, your computing and email account could be compromised and you could potentially receive thousands of SPAM messages.
Please be on your guard for “phishing” emails. Phishing emails are designed to maliciously harvest personal details from you to either compromise your email account or gain access to other personal data, such as banking details. We have in the past produced information on how to spot a phishing email and you can find out more by visiting this University website http://www.abdn.ac.uk/dit/staff/news/index_1750.php.
If you have already responded to one of these emails and provided personal information, please change your password immediately and contact the DIT Service Desk.
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018