The Cruickshank Botanic Garden sits in the medieval burgh of Old Aberdeen, between St Machar's Cathedral and King's College. The Garden is in a sheltered situation, about 1ml from the sea, with relatively mild winters and not much frost.
It was founded in 1898 with a bequest from Miss Anne Cruickshank, given in memory of her brother Dr Alexander Cruickshank. Their father had been Regius Professor of Mathematics in the University. The original Deed of Trust specified that the Garden was to be 'for the furtherance of University interests and the public good'. The Garden is true to its origins, and provides an educational resource both for University students and for the thousands of schoolchildren who visit the Natural History Centre, as well as a wonderful amenity for staff, students and the general public.