Sport and Exercise Science is about understanding how our bodies adapt to the stresses imposed upon them during physical activity to benefit both performance and health.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
We offer a range of Sports and Exercise Science degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Sports and Exercise Science includes the study of the body's responses to exercise and the adaptations that occur in response to regular exercise. Sports and Exercise Science also includes the role that regular modest levels of physical activity can play in maintaining health.
Exercise involves the integrated actions of all the body's systems, and a knowledge of physiology, biochemistry and nutrition is essential to understand how individuals respond to and adapt to the stress of exercise. The exercise and sport sciences are broadly based, and encompass both basic and applied science from the whole body to the molecular level.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Available Programmes of Study
Why Study Sports and Exercise Science at Aberdeen?
- The programme at the University of Aberdeen is based on a strong curriculum in physiology, biochemistry and nutrition.
- You will learn about the scientific basis that underpins athletic performance, and the role of scientific support in preparing the athlete for competition.
- Sports science courses complement those in the fundamental biomedical sciences and allow students to place their knowledge in the context of the sports performance and physical activity for health.
- Many scientific disciplines contribute to the sports and exercise sciences, including physiology, biochemistry, nutrition, anatomy and biomechanics.
- We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen