Pharmacology is about the discovery and characterisation of drugs that are used either as medicines or as experimental tools for advancing our understanding of the body in health and disease.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
We offer a range of Pharmacology degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Pharmacology is concerned primarily with the characterisation of the properties and modes of action of drugs and with the discovery of new drugs. The study and practice of pharmacology also includes drug toxicity, the way drugs are used and the processes by which drugs are absorbed, distributed in the body, metabolised and excreted.
The degree programmes aim to instil a broad base of knowledge about drugs at the molecular, cellular, tissue and systems level. Additionally, you will gain an in depth understanding of selected aspects of Pharmacology, which reflect the research expertise and strengths of the School e.g. neuropharmacology, cancer and toxicology. This research-led approach delivers a modern, relevant and cutting edge programme equipping graduates with the experience and skills required for success in Pharmacology (and other) careers.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Why Study Pharmacology at Aberdeen?
- You will receive cutting edge, applicable training and practical experience in classical pharmacology, toxicology and cell and molecular pharmacology.
- The people involved in your teaching are at the forefront of pharmacology research and some may also be involved with successful spin-out companies.
- Pharmacology teaching at the University was graded 'Excellent' in the last Teaching Quality Assessment.
- Pharmacologists at the University of Aberdeen have been involved in fundamental scientific discoveries such as morphine-like and cannabis-like substances in the brain.
- The University has been recognised by the British Pharmacological Society as a site of special scientific interest based on its achievements in pharmacology.
- You will receive training in both specialist and employment-related skills.
- Award winning research on opioids and cannabinoids was carried out by world-renowned Professors Kosterlitz and Pertwee at the University.
- We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen