Molecular biology is one of great successes of 20th century science, culminating in the determination of the complete human genome sequence.
Molecular Biology is the investigation at the molecular level of all aspects of cells and tissues from simple systems in bacteria to more complex systems in plants and mammals. It has been responsible for spectacular successes in the treatment of disease caused either by bacteria and viruses, or inborn genetic errors. Molecular Biology is central to current investigations to understand the genetic basis of human disease and pathology, as well as to the development of improved crops.
The degree programmes will provide you with a broad base of knowledge regarding molecular biology at the molecular, cellular and organismal levels. Additionally, you will gain an in depth understanding of selected aspects of Biochemistry which will reflect the research expertise and strengths within the School, and you will be instructed in the many applications of this subject.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Why Study Molecular Biology at Aberdeen?
- You will receive teaching in the cutting edge fields of genome analysis and bioinformatics through the Centre of Genome-Enabled Biology and Medicine at the University.
- The programme has a strong emphasis on medical and human genetics.
- Excellent staff and teaching facilities; 92% of our students were satisfied with teaching in medical sciences, and 91.8% of our students were satisfied that staff made the subject interesting (2014 National Student Survey).
- You will receive training in both specialist and employment-related skills.
- Innovative and flexible teaching allows you to follow special interests.
- Opportunities for gaining (paid) experience in industry are available to you throughout the degree programme.
What You'll Study
Single Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen