Chemistry students perform practical work with state-of-the-art instrumentation and staff include internationally recognised researchers in material, biomolecular and environmental chemistry.
We offer a range of Chemistry degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Chemistry is a core science that is not only the very essence of life, but is also concerned with the quality of life and its continuing improvement. Our flexible range of courses offers both general and specialised degrees.
As well as being fundamental in our daily lives, chemistry is a fundamental subject in science. In different areas it overlaps with biology and medicine, with physics and engineering, and with geology and earth science. Thus, while it might be unusual for someone to take a degree in geology and then follow a career in biology, it is commonplace for chemistry graduates to move into these or any other area of science. As a result, many doors are open to chemistry graduates, and career opportunities are very diverse.
All lecturing staff are active researchers in one or more of the areas of research strength of the Department: Materials Chemistry, Biomolecular and Medicinal Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry. Innovative methods for learning and teaching ensure that students develop skills in computer and information technology, problem solving and personal skills in addition to the core theoretical and practical principles of chemistry.
Available Programmes of Study
Why Study Chemistry at Aberdeen?
- 93% of University of Aberdeen Chemistry graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation, across a vast range of industries.
- 85% of our Chemistry graduates have a professional or managerial job six months after graduation (1st in Scotland).
- 100% of our MChem students will be provided with a four month placement overseas in either industry or academia.
- As an Institution directly linked into the Oil and Gas Industry, here in Aberdeen, our Oil and Gas Chemistry degree provides the perfect platform to this industry.
- All of our undergraduate Chemistry programmes are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- A feature of our MChem route is a final year 4 month research project placement in the area of specialisation, usually at an overseas university, research institute or industrial laboratory.
- Chemistry has been taught at Aberdeen for over 200 years and was one of the first Universities to introduce chemistry as a subject in its own right.
- Industries need a steady supply of skilled Geochemists, Synthetic Chemists, Analytical Chemists, Environmental Chemists.
- The MChem is seen as the flagship degree, and entry into the final two years is dependent on achieving at least an upper second class honours level of performance in third year.
Undergraduate EU Scholarship
The Aberdeen Global Undergraduate Scholarship is open to European Union (EU) students.
This is an £8,000 tuition fee discount available to eligible self-funded Undergraduate students who would have previously been eligible for Home (Scottish/EU) fee status.View Undergraduate EU Scholarship
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen