Biochemistry attempts to understand the complex array of molecules and their interactions which come together to create all living things.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
We offer a range of Biochemistry degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Biochemistry lies at the interface between biology and medicine. Whether it be single-celled bacteria or the trillions of cells found in humans, all of the fundamental processes of the cell happen at the biochemical level. Understanding these processes can provide insights in to subjects ranging from the evolution of life to developing treatments for common conditions such as diabetes, cancer and obesity.
On any given day people who graduated with an Aberdeen biochemistry degree will be analysing water samples for pollution, designing new life saving medicines, producing new nanotechnologies, examining nutrient content in food and drink, helping people conceive in IVF clinics or selling scientific equipment to labs around the world.
This degree programme covers many areas of biochemistry at the molecular, cellular and organ system levels. Additionally, you will gain an in depth understanding of selected aspects of biochemistry which will reflect the research expertise and strengths within the University.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Why Study Biochemistry at Aberdeen?
- Current innovations in biochemistry run through the entire curriculum, coupled with flexible teaching, allow you to follow your specific interests.
- The programmes provide you with a skill set that gives you self-discipline and drive so that you can pursue a lifetime of learning, whether in the sciences or beyond.
- Modern teaching facilities and laboratories which will enhance your learning and provide you with an opportunity to experience working in a research focussed laboratory environment.
- Training provided in both science and employment-related skills.
- We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen