Our evening course programme in Modern Foreign Languages is designed for anyone interested in learning a new language or improving existing language skills. We also offer evening General English language courses for students whose first language is not English. In addition we offer in-sessional English classes which are designed for students whose first language is not English and who have started their degree studies. Please register for your course as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
- Arabic (PDF)
- French (PDF
- German (PDF
- Italian (PDF)
- Japanese (PDF)
- Portuguese (PDF)
- Russian (PDF)
- Spanish (PDF)
The above courses are open to University of Aberdeen staff, students and the general public. Courses are for recreational purposes only and do not involve any form of assessment prior to the courses starting, during or after.
Students should note that the modules offered in the evening language courses are not part of any degree pathway and may not be used as credit counting towards a degree programme.
The evening language courses are extremely popular, and the University tries to respond to this demand with the courses and levels that are offered. However, due to timetabling restrictions, not every level of study is available for every language each term.
Level of Study
To ascertain which level is best suited for you, we recommend looking at the individual course content guides which detail the content covered in each level. If there are aspects of a certain level that you would like to improve on or haven’t covered yet, then that level would be most appropriate for you. Please read this content carefully and think about which level of course best suits your current knowledge of the language. It is important not to choose courses that will either be too easy or too difficult for you. You may enrol in any of the levels even if you have not previously attended our classes.
Terms and Conditions
Your registration on a evening language course will be subject to our terms and conditions.
- Language Centre - Evening Classes Terms and Conditions
Your registration on a Language Centre Evening Class course will be subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. Applicants must be over 17 years old to enrol. Participants under 17 years old will be removed from the course and will not receive a refund.
2. Couse fees payment is required in advance of the course starting - please note that a place on the course will only be confirmed upon receipt of full payment through the Online Store.
3. Applicants are responsible for selecting a level that is suitable for them. Any queries can be made to the Language Centre admin team ahead of reserving a place. Following the application and payment for a course, our course fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
4. The Language Centre will seek to keep to the advertised course dates but reserves the right to alter times/dates in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Where we need to alter the course times/dates a course, we will email all students enrolled on that course to notify them of this decision.
You will have an opportunity to transfer to an alternative course or to receive a full refund. We endeavour to process all refunds within two weeks. It is not possible to attend an alternative course on a trial basis. If you request or attend an alternative course, we will not process a refund.
5. The Language Centre reserves the right to cancel any course which does not recruit a viable number of students. Where we need to cancel a course, we will email all students enrolled on that course to notify them of this decision.
You will have an opportunity to transfer to an alternative course or to receive a full refund. We endeavour to process all cancellation refunds within two weeks. It is not possible to attend an alternative course on a trial basis. If you request or attend an alternative course, we will not process a refund.
6. The Language Centre cannot accept responsibility for unforeseen changes in a participant's circumstances that may prevent attendance.
7. For courses taking place over multiple weeks, the Language Centre reserves the right to cancel a class if the tutor is absent due to illness or other unavoidable circumstances. If a class must be cancelled, the tutor will arrange a replacement class at a time to suit the majority of students. If an opportunity was given to attend a rescheduled class, the Language Centre is not liable for missed classes refunds.
8. The University does not accept responsibility for losses or expenses incurred, however caused.
If you have a query about any of these terms and conditions, please contact the Language Centre by email email@example.com.
Terms and Conditions (PDF)