Master of Science in Medical Sciences

Master of Science in Medical Sciences

The Masters of Science in Medical Sciences is an advanced postgraduate research masters degree taken over 12-months (full-time) or 24 months (part-time). The degree is designed to prepare students for PhD study or for careers where advanced-level research skills are required.

We have a number of MSc by Research projects currently open to applications, you can view them here.

Research Masters: Master of Science in Medical Sciences

What is a research masters?

The focus of a research masters is the research project and research skills training. Students undertake an independent research project and submit a research thesis for oral examination. Research masters’ students have access to the same training opportunities as PhD students and are an integral part of the research community of the School and the University Postgraduate Research School.

How does this differ from a taught MSc degree?

A taught masters usually consists of two-thirds taught courses and one-third research project. In contrast, there are no taught courses with the research masters.

Do I need to identify a supervisor?

The research project and research training must be supervised by someone with the required knowledge and expertise. Who this is will depend on the field in which you wish to gain research experience. You will need to approach your supervisor(s) before applying for the programme. You can find out about the research interests and expertise in our five Research Institutes by visiting:  

Institute of Medical Sciences  

Rowett Institute 

Institute of Dentistry 

Institute of Education in Healthcare and Medical Sciences 

Institute of Applied Health Sciences 

Do I need to write a research proposal?

The focus of the degree is the research project so you will need to submit a research proposal outlining the project aims and the expected outcomes. You will not have to do this on your own but will work with your supervisor(s) to develop this together. This is to ensure that the aims can be realistically achieved within the timeframe of the programme.

What are the entry requirements?

This is normally at least an upper second-class BSc degree (2.1) or equivalent in a relevant discipline.

When does the programme start?

The MSc by Research programme starts on 1 October or 1 February each year.

How much will it cost?

There are two elements to the cost of the degree programme, the fees and the project costs.

  • Fees. The postgraduate research tuition fee for the 2023/24 academic year for Home/RUK students is £4,712 and the tuition fee for International students is £24,860 (lab-based) or £19,680 (non-lab). University of Aberdeen graduates are eligible for a 20% Alumni discount on the fee.
  • Project costs. There is an additional cost of £3,000 (bench fee) to contribute to project costs. This will be included in the offer letter.

What are the eligibility criteria for Home student fees?

To be classed as a Home student, you must meet one of the following criteria:

If you do not meet the criteria above, you will be classed as an international student.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, and started living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.   NOTE: The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. More Information.

Is there Funding?

The Scottish Government offers postgraduate loans to those due to start a Masters (taught or research) programme. Loan scheme and eligibility.

Want more information or want to apply?

Interested in Applying?

You can apply for this programme through the University of Aberdeen Postgraduate online application portal You will need to select the ‘Masters of Science in Medical Sciences’ from the programme drop-down menu where required and you must upload your research proposal with your application. 

Want more information?

For more information about this programme or questions about it, about how to find a supervisor or to discuss research areas contact Dr Delma Childers