Chair in Music
Head of School
- The University of Aberdeen Taylor Building / MacRobert Building
Chris Collins was appointed Head of the School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture in June 2020. Before that, he was Head of the School of Music and Media at Bangor University. He is currently President of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, and is a Council Member of the Royal Musical Association. He is a musicologist specialising in early twentieth-century music, and has published widely on the life and work of the Spanish composer Manuel de Falla. He also works on popular music, and has taught and given public lectures on all periods of music history. He is an experienced orchestral, choral and opera conductor, and directs the University of Aberdeen Symphony Orchestra. His spare time is spent walking, cycling, reading, and listening to music.
- Manuel de Falla
- Music in Spain and France, c. 1880-1939
- Music in the Nordic countries, c. 1890-1930
- Popular music and culture in Britain, c. 1960 onwards
- Sketch studies
- Word-music relations
- Music pedagogy
Chris is currently writing a monograph on international aspects of Falla's life and work, and is preparing a new edition of Falla's published writings in collaboration with Elena Torres Clemente (Universidad Complutense de Madrid). He is pleased to supervise research students in areas relating to his own specialist interests.
Chris has taught on a wide range of topics in music history from Hildegard of Bingen to Kate Bush, via Wagner, Debussy, the Ballets Russes, and the Beatles. He also teaches musicological methodology, word-music relations, music analysis and conducting, and has contributed to music performance coaching.
- Further Info
- President, Incorporated Society of Musicians
- Ordinary Member of Council, Royal Musical Association
- Expressive Arts Advisor, Curriculum Reform, Welsh Government
- Contributor to Music Benchmark Statement, QAA
- Trustee, Codi'r To – Sistema Cymru
- External Examiner for Music and Drama programmes, ESART Barcelona
- Head of School, School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture