Sylvia_StephenWelcome to the Human Nutrition Unit (HNU) based at The Rowett Institute, University of Aberdeen. Here, we run a variety of human nutrition studies for which volunteers are needed.

The HNU was established in 1986 to provide a metabolic research facility to study the relationship between diet and health in humans. Find out what it’s like to be a volunteer watch our videos below.

Find out more about the studies currently being conducted in the Unit and how to participate - see study list below. You can also read our volunteers newsletter.

Sylvia Stephen (HNU Manager)

Current Studies which require volunteers

  • PRECISE Study - PRECISion nutrition approach to balance metabolic health with Extracts.
  • Time Pressure Study - Adult volunteers needed to take part in an interview about time pressure.
  • Infant Study - Investigating flavours and new tastes.
  • Wholegrain Study - Explore how wholegrain compounds can make your blood vessels more healthy.
  • Shake up your AGE - Help us to find out if some processed foods can influence how you function
  • Meal Time Study- Volunteers required for a 10 week weight loss study
  • VegGI Study - We are interested in understanding the health benefits of eating vegetables.
  • Big Breakfast Study - Volunteers needed for a 10-week weight loss study.
  • Mackerel and Health Study - Help us investigate the long term beneficial effects of eating mackerel fish.
  • Interested in Sugar? - Volunteers required for a study looking at how sugar habits develop over time.
  • Zinc in Potatoes (ZiP study) - Male and female volunteers needed investigate whether eating naturally zinc-enriched potatoes can improve health.

Please Note: Although we are a nutrition research unit we are unable to provide advice on diet to individuals not currently participating in any of the studies. If you are concerned about your diet, please consult your GP.