International Strategy Officer
Mr Vimal Subramanian provides counsel to the Vice-Principal for International Partnerships on Internationalisation strategy, policy and global engagement and supports Transnational education (TNE) projects and strategic partnerships.
Ask me about
- Collaborative Provision: Setting up an International academic partnerships
- Strategic Partnerships: The Aberdeen-Curtin Alliance and Santander Universities
- Transnational education (TNE): Qatar Campus - AFG College with the University of Aberdeen.
- Foundation Programmes: International Study Centre (ISC)
Vimal has over 15 years of experience in International Education, Development and Trade. As an Internationalist in UK Higher Education (HE) and Further Education (FE), he has spent much of his time travelling across China, India, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Prior to joining the University, he was with Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) working at the British Deputy High Commission, Chennai, India advising the British Deputy High Commissioner for South India on Education and Health. He has also worked at University of Derby and Vision West Nottinghamshire College in East Midlands leading/managing International student recruitment before moving from private sector. He holds a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Bharathiar University, Tamil Nadu, India and an MBA in Knowledge Management from the University of South Wales (formerly University of Wales, Newport, United Kingdom).
MBA, Knowledge Management University of South Wales (formerly University of Wales, Newport) 2001 BEng, Mechanical Engineering Bharathiar University, India 2000
Memberships and Affiliations
- Transnational education (TNE) project boards ( Qatar Campus - AFG College with the University of Aberdeen and new project boards)
- Joint Aberdeen Curtin Alliance steering committee (ASC) and Aberdeen Curtin Alliance project board
- International Study Centre Governance committees on Academic, Operations, Recruitment and Marketing
- Blended Learning Implementation (BLITFG) on Internationalisation
Administrator to the
Aberdeen Curtin Alliance website
Aberdeen correspondent to the
- Worldwide Energy University Network (WEUN) Secretariat
- Resilience Advisory Group (Advisory Group on Business Continuity & Resilience)
- Internationalisation strategy committee (2014 -2016)
- Member of regional area interest groups for China, Americas, Sub-Saharan Africa, South East Asia and Middle East. (2014 -2016)
- BUILA: British Universities International Liaison Association.
- Asia Network of the Universities UK International
- Scottish Universities International Group (SUIG)
- ACU Internationalisation Community (Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU))
- Worldwide Energy University Network (WEUN)
- Internationalisation in higher education
- International partnerships, global alliances and Transnational education (TNE)
- Public diplomacy and soft power
- Knowledge management and social knowledge creation
- Systems thinking, complexity management and chaos theory
- Online distance learning, digital innovations and learner analytics