Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, University of Aberdeen, 08/2016 - Present
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, University of Aberdeen, 09/2014 - 07/2016
Post-doctoral Research Assistant, University of Oxford, 01/2008 - 08/2014
Residual stresses and eigenstrain theory
Mechanics of materials
External Grants Awarded
- M.E. Kartal. 3D in-situ based methodology for optimizing the mechanical performance of selective laser melted aluminium alloys. EPSRC, £101k, awarded in 07/2018
- M.E. Kartal, A. Karadimos and R.D. Neilson. Designing new Umbelicals for deep sea applications (Phase 2). Oil and Gas Innovation Centre (Phase 2), £260k, awarded in 08/2018
- M.E.Kartal, A. Karadimos and R.D. Neilson. Designing new Umbelicals for deep sea applications (Phase 1). Oil and Gas Innovation Centre, £68k, awarded in 07/2017
- M.E. Kartal. Multiscale Experimental and Computational Techniques for Optimizing Selective Laser Melting Additive Manufacturing Process Parameters. NSIRC/TWI PhD Sponsorship 2016, £44k, awarded in 04/2016
- M.E. Kartal. Three-dimensional in-situ measurements of deformation using the x-ray microscope and microtest stage. The Royal Society Research Grant, £15k, awarded in 03/2015.
- A.C.F. Cocks and M.E. Kartal. Measurements of residual stresses in ultra-thick steel welds and analysis of relationship between residual stresses and fatigue fracture. Welding and Joining Research Group Technical Research Laboratories POSCO, $50k, awarded in 09/2011.
EG4529/EM4529 Nonlinear Mechanics
EG5096 Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics
EG50T7 Subsea Construction, Inspection and Maintenance
EG5565 MEng Group Design
EG4013 MEng/BEng Individual Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- Further Info
A panel member of the Royal Society’s Committee (2016-Present)
Act as External Examiner for PhD viva (2016-Present)
A reviewer for
- Additive Manufacturing
- Experimental Mechanics
- International Journal of Fatigue
- Materials & Design
- Composites Part A
- Engineering Fracture Mechanics
- International Journal of Solids and Structures
- International Journal of Mechanical Sciences
- The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design
- Tribology International
- ZAMM - Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik
- The Journal of Engineering
- Strojniški vestnik – Journal of Mechanical Engineering
- International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping
Programme coordinator for the MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering
Coordinator of non-destructive testing services (μCT)
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 10 of 54
- Hastie, JC, Kartal, M, Carter, LN, Attallah, MM & Mulvihill, DM 2020, 'Classifying shape of internal pores within AlSi10Mg alloy manufactured by laser powder bed fusion using 3D X-ray micro computed tomography: influence of processing parameters and heat treatment', Materials Characterization, vol. 163, 110225. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2020.110225
- Ogosi, E, Siddiq, A, Asim, UB & Kartal, ME 2020, 'Crystal Plasticity based Study to Understand the Interaction of Hydrogen, Defects and Loading in Austenitic Stainless Steel Single Crystals', International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- Jaber, SB, Hamilton, A, Xu, Y, Kartal, ME, Gadegaard, N & Mulvihill, DM 2021, 'Friction of flat and micropatterned interfaces with nanoscale roughness', Tribology International, vol. 153, 106563. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2020.106563
- Ogosi, EI, Asim, UB, Siddiq, MA & Kartal, ME 2020, 'Modelling Hydrogen Induced Stress Corrosion Cracking in Austenitic Stainless Steel', Journal of Mechanics, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 213-222. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/jmech.2019.60
- Georgilas, K, Khan, RHU & Kartal, ME 2020, 'The influence of pulsed laser powder bed fusion process parameters on Inconel 718 material properties', Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 769, 138527. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2019.138527
- Asim, UB, Siddiq, MA & Kartal, ME 2019, 'A CPFEM based study to understand the void growth in high strength dual-phase Titanium alloy (Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al)', International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 122, pp. 188-211. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2019.07.002
- Hastie, JC, Kartal, ME, Attallah, MM & Carter, LN 2019, 'Analysing size and shape of internal processing defects within selective laser melted aluminium alloy using x-ray micro computed tomography', Alloys for Additive Manufacturing Symposium 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden, 18/09/19 - 20/09/19 pp. 49-49.
- Georgilas, KP, Khan, RHU & Kartal, ME 2019, 'Characterisation of heat treated, additively manufactured Inconel 718', Paper presented at The National Structural Integrity Research Centre (NSIRC) Conference 2019, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2/07/19 - 3/07/19.
- Georgilas, KP, Kartal, ME & Khan, RHU 2019, 'Effect of post-thermal treatments on microstructure and mechanical properties of L-PBF IN718 material', Paper presented at European Conference on Structural Integrity of Additively Manufactured Materials (ESIAM19), Trondheim, Norway, 9/09/19 - 11/09/19.
- Eerden, J, Kartal, M, Gröning, F & Kerckhofs, G 2019, 'Enhancing soft tissue contrast for microCT imaging of human Achilles tendon enthesis', The Scottish Microscopy Society’s Symposium, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 3/12/19 - 3/12/19.