Senior Lecturer (Scholarship)
Currently Depute Head of School
Director of Learning and Teaching (2015-2019)
Senior Lecturer (2016)
Programme Director, MA in Education (2013-2016)
Programme Director, Bachelor of Education (Hons) (2010 - )
Lecturer University of Aberdeen, School of Education (2008- 2016)
Teacher Learning Support Aberdeenshire, Mackie Academy, Primary/Secondary Float (1993-July 2008)
Behavioural Support Teacher, Johnshaven Primary School, Grampian Region (1993)
Supply Teacher, Grampian Region Primary Schools (1992-1993)
Supply Teacher, Caithness Primary Schools (1985-1988)
Primary Class Teacher, Castletown Primary School, Caithness (1979- 1984)
- Presentation Scottish Learning Festival: Numeracy Where is the Learning? 21st September 2011
- Assessment Conference University of Cumbria Carlisle: Old Wine in a New Bottle?: Assessment of Numeracy 6th July 2011
- EIS/U of Aberdeen Conference: Health and Well-Being across Learning, Can we teach Happiness Workshop? 15th May 2010
- Workshop: Literacy across Learning, The language of Mathematics, 23rd January 2010, EIS/University of Aberdeen Joint Conference
- Workshop: CFE/ Numeracy at Learning Festival, 16th May, 2009 University of Aberdeen
- EAL workshop for New Teachers, 31st January 2009, University of Aberdeen
- Creating an Inclusive Classroom Workshop, 13th September 2008, EIS CPD Fair, Exhibition Centre Aberdeen
- Tracking Pupil Learning Gains Workshop, 7th June 2008, Chartered Teacher Conference Edinburgh
- Creating an Inclusive Classroom workshop, EIS/University of Aberdeen CPD fair, 26th April 2008
- Partnerships, Poster presentation, 28th April 2008, STEC Conference, Glasgow
- A Critical Incident, a Turning Point to Better Provision?, 3rd November 2007, Chartered Teacher Conference, University of Aberdeen
- Collaborative Practice Workshop, Chartered Teacher Conference, June 2007, Edinburgh
Memberships and Affiliations
Mathematics and Numeracy:
Having trained as an assessor and pupil tutor through Strathclyde University CPD programme (2005) in South Aberdeenshire, the 'Maths Recovery' diagnostic assessment and teaching frameworks has been a continued area of professional interest. This includes
- Working alongside students to extend their understanding of pupil's developmental stages of mathematical thinking
- Researching the use of video as a tool to develop teacher/pupil understanding
Experiences of male students studying on initial teacher primary education programmes
This research project has arisen from informal conversations with some male students within the MA Education Programme. Primary Education is perceived to be a feminine profession so it is maybe hard to conform in terms of gender. Students report some challenges relating to how they are perceived. Further to this, they also commented on negative reactions from the general public when questioned about what they were studying.Catriona MacDonald anf Liz Curtis from the School of Education would like to gain an insight to their experiences. The findings from this study will inform future School of Education planning, programme design and highlight where support may be required for future and current students.
Capacity Building Project working with the University of Battambang & rural primary schools in Battambang Province, Cambodia.
Researching Schools: Lesson Study Project Outline
This short project focuses on the creation of a collaborative partnership between members of two educational contexts: a school of education at the University of Aberdeen and schools in partnership Local Authorities as part of a larger Researching Schools project.
The aim of the larger project is for the team at the University to work in partnership with head teachers and schools to facilitate the development of becoming researching schools, whilst carrying out research to understand the implications of this process both for the participating schools and for teacher education in the University.
There will be two activities happening in parallel.
1. practical elements of supporting staff in the schools to carry out research in school
2. research on process of creating and working as a collaborative team
Scottish Placement Management Group (SPMG) member
Scottish Council of Deans of Education (SCDE) member
University of Aberdeen School of Education Partnership Forum member
Tutor : ED1028, Learning How to Learn
Tutor ED1054: What makes us Human?
Tutor ED3005: Primary Mathematics Curriculum
Tutor ED4016/ED4052: Professional Studies, Primary Mathematics Curriculum
Tutor ED4017: Learning and Teaching, The School and Community
Tutor ED4018/ED4511: Primary Mathematics Curriculum
PGDE Part Time distance learners
Tutor ED4650 Primary Mathematics Curriculum