Research Postgraduate

Research Postgraduate

In the Computing Science Department, PhD and MSc by Research degrees are awarded on the basis of independent research in Computing Science. Students working on these degrees are individually supervised by members of academic staff who are experts in the student's research area.

A PhD normally lasts three years, and an MSc by Research normally lasts one year.

For more information on our current research interests, see our departmental research pages.

Applicants normally need a 1 or 2(i) Honours undergraduate degree in Computing Science (or a related subject), or a Masters degree in Computing Science (or a related subject).

PhD, and MSc by Research candidates write a dissertation (thesis), which is read by at least two examiners, one of which will be from outside the University of Aberdeen. Candidates are assessed on the basis of their dissertation and on an oral examination conducted by the examiners.



There are many possible funding sources for MPhil and PhD candidates, some of which are described in the postgraduate funding web page maintained by Student Recruitment. For many years, a standard funding source for many of our students has been an EPSRC studentship. This has now been enhanced in recent years by Project Studentships. The department also runs a Departmental Bursary Scheme, based on a combination of ORS and departmental funding.


EPSRC Studentships

From time to time, EPSRC research studentships become available, normally for students starting in the autumn. These awards provide maintenance and fees for UK students and permanent residents, but provide only the tuition fee component for European Union students. For more information, see the EPSRC website.


Project Studentships

Sometimes the Department has studentships which are associated with a particular research topic. For up-to-date information and application procedures for project studentships, see our Vacancies page. Project studentships generally pay maintenance and UK/EU fees for three years; non-EU candidates can apply for these, but will need to make arrangements to cover the gap between overseas and EU fees.