Students in the School of Social Sciences to benefit from award in memory of highly-respected Professor.
The University of Aberdeen is honoured to establish a new award in memory of Professor Debra Gimlin to recognise the enormous contribution she made to the University over 13 years, during which time she inspired hundreds of students. Professor Gimlin’s husband, parents and family were touched by the support and warmth shown by the University community at Debra’s memorial service at King’s College Chapel on the 16th of March, and they are delighted to support this award.
Support is now being sought to fully fund the award which will greatly help students within the School of Social Sciences of which Professor Gimlin had been Head since 2014.
Born and educated in the USA, Professor Gimlin was an internationally renowned sociologist of the body. Her doctoral project, subsequently published as ‘Body Work’, established her as an expert on the body as a site for the cultural construction of the self. Arriving at Aberdeen in 2003 to take up a lectureship, she quickly became a highly valued member of staff and colleague in the Department of Sociology, taking up the position of Head of School in 2014.
Professor Gimlin was dynamic, intelligent, immensely respected and above all truly kind and her sudden death in February shocked all who knew her.
If you would like to contribute towards The Professor Debra Gimlin Award please give online here or if you are based in the USA you can donate here. Our secure online giving pages provide the opportunity to donate to a number of our priorities - to make sure that your donation is sent to the correct area please ensure that 'Professor Debra Gimlin Award' is selected from the drop-down designation menu. For more information or to discuss further please contact Kelly M. Anderson at the University of Aberdeen Development Trust at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +44 (0) 1224 273057.
You can read the full tribute to Professor Gimlin here.
Fundraising income for many scholarships at the University is channelled through the University of Aberdeen Development Trust which is a registered charity. The Trust raises essential funds to support much of the University’s activities such as vital medical research as well as supporting students through the provision of scholarships, bursaries and facilities. Funding from alumni, individuals, companies, organisations and the community is essential to provide life-changing support for students as well as many other activities.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2017
- Apr There are no items for April 2017
- May There are no items for May 2017
- Jul There are no items for July 2017
- Sep There are no items for September 2017
- Oct There are no items for October 2017
- Nov There are no items for November 2017
- Dec There are no items for December 2017
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Dec There are no items for December 2010