Aberdeen Sports Village
The Olympic standard Aberdeen Sports Village and Aquatic Centre is the premier sports facility in the North East of Scotland. It is open to students, staff and the public with facilities for athletics, football, swimming, racquet sports, hockey, martial arts, weight lifting, boxing and fitness classes, as well as spaces for a variety of sports clubs such as trampolining and ultimate frisbee. The facility is designed to be somewhere for people to enjoy, train and compete in sporting activities.
- Full size, 3rd Generation FIFA approved indoor football pitch
- IAAF approved indoor athletics area with 135 metre running straight, throwing and jumping areas and free weight zone
- 50 metre, 10 lane Olympic standard swimming pool
- International standard diving pool with moveable floor
- Sauna and steam room
- Large multi-purpose sports hall
- 4 squash courts (2 glass-backed)
- Large fitness suite and performance gymnasium; 2 studios
- 400 metre outdoor athletics track and stadium
- Floodlit water based hockey pitch
- Well-being Centre (with physiotherapy clinic)
- A crèche, café and spectator seating
Exercise classes cater for a wide range of tastes and levels of ability, from novice to advanced, including lunchtime and evening classes such as aerobics, circuits, sports conditioning, boxfit, body conditioning, step and studio cycling. There’s also personal advice on all aspects of fitness and training, health-related fitness, nutrition and weight management, fitness assessments, body fat analysis and 1-to-1 training.
The facility allowed the North of Scotland to play an integral part in the run up to the London 2012 Olympic Games, and again, was used as a key training facility for elite athletes competing in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. It is a training ground for elite athletes and allow sports stars of the future to achieve their full potential and compete at the highest level. Add to this a vibrant and growing Sports Union with 58 sports clubs, 3,500 members, numerous events and six intra-mural leagues and we have the perfect environment to offer students a sporting experience second to none!