- Senior Lecturer, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen : June 2016 - Present
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen : June 2009 - May 2016
- Research Fellow, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen, (RED Project) : June 2008 - June 2009
- Research Academic B, ARC Center for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control, University of Newcastle, Australia : September 2005 - May 2008
- Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, USA : May 2003 - August 2005
- M.S., Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, USA : August 2000 - May 2003
- Research Engineer, RDSI Pvt. Ltd., Pune, India : May 1999 - June 2000
- B.E., Electrical Engineering, AISSMS COE, University of Pune, India : May 1995 - July 1999
I am a registered Chartered Engineer with the IET. I also volunteer as a Professional Registration Advisor (PRA) and as a Professional Registration Interviewer (PRI) for prospective IEng and CEng applicants for the IET.
My non-academic interests are trekking, nature and wildlife photography, travelling and martial arts.
Research InterestsMy research interests are:
- Control of precision mechatronic systems
- Vibration damping and isolation
- Nonlinear systems control
- Control applications in electrical power engineering
- Smart materials and structures
- Soft Robotics
You can view my Google Scholar profile here.
My current research projects include:
- Closed-loop performance enhancement of Nanopositioning systems
- Analysis and control of HVDC MCC/LCC interaction with power generators
- Vibration damping and isolation for structural and alignment applications
- Control of drill-string dynamics
- Electrical Technology applications to O&G industry
I am always interested in probing new ideas. It is quite possible that I may not know of your work but, if you think a collaboration is possible, please drop me an email.
Lead Supervisor for:
- Ibukunolu Oladunjoye : Ph.D. student (Graduating subject to minor corrections in Nov 2019)
- Rahul J. Moon : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: June 2020)
- James D. Maclean : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: January 2021)
- Adedayo Babarinde : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: March 2021)
- Suoda Chu : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: October 2020)
- Stefan Kovacevic : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: June 2020)
- Adamu Adamu: Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: January 2023)
- Mohammed Altaher - Ph.D. 2019.
- Douglas Russell - Ph.D. 2018.
- Mohammad Namavar - Ph.D. 2015.
- Ms Linlin Li (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China): 1st May - 31st October 2019
- Mr Paul Antoine (ENSTA Paris Tech, France) : June - July 2017
- Dr Andres San-Millan (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : 1st May - 30th July 2016
- Dr Andres San-Millan (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : 1st May - 30th July 2014
- Prof. Paul Reynolds (University of Exeter, UK) : May 2012
- Prof. Andrew J. Fleming (University of Newcastle, Australia) : July 2011
- Dr Emiliano Pereira Gonzales (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : May - June 2010
- Prof. Paul Reynolds, Vibration Engineering Section, Exeter University, UK.
- Prof. Vicente Feliu Batlle, University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain.
- Prof. Andrew J. Fleming, Precision Mechatronics Lab, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Prof. Limin Zhu, State Key Laboratory for Mechanical Systems and Vibration, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Dr. Emiliano Pereira Gonzalez, University of Alcala, Spain.
- Assoc. Prof. Bharath Bhikkaji, Indian Institute of Technology - Chennai, India.
- Assoc. Prof. Abdus Samad, Indian Institute of Technology - Chennai, India.
- Prof. Antoine Ferreira, LVR ENSI de Bourges, France.
- Prof. Santosh Devasia, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Assoc. Prof. Kam K. Leang, University of Utah - Salt Lake City, USA.
- Dr. Steven Grainger, University of Adelaide, Australia.
- Consultancy (with Dr A. Jamshidi Far) - BP PLC (UK) - (£42360) 2019 - 2020.
- NSFC (P.R. China) Grant No: 51975375 (Jan 2020 - Dec 2023) - Control of ultrafast AFM nanopositioners using delayed feedback and general internal model principle, Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. L M Zhu - (RMB 600K).
- DUO-India Research Fellowship (with Assoc. Prof. Abdus Samad, IIT-M) - (€6000) - 2020.
- Interface (with TWEFDA Ltd) - (£5000) 2019.
- Interface (with SteerSafe) - (£5000) 2018.
- Consultancy - Proserv (UK). (£7080) 2018.
- Visiting Research Fellowship (Binks Trust Fund) : The State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Systems and Vibrations, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. (£4135) 2018.
- Consultancy - Proserv (UK). (£4324) 2018.
- Reseau de Transport d’electricite (RTE, France): LCC and MCC HVDC Dynamic Interactions in Subsynchronous domain, (1 January 2017 - 30 June 2020). Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. Dragan Jovcic. (£114K).
- Consultancy (with Dr T. Thevar) - McGregor Tech (UK) Ltd. (£17000) 2016.
- Spanish Ministry of Education Pre-doctoral Mobility Grant for Mr Andres San-Millan (€3000) 2016.
- Scoping Project - Aker Subsea Ltd. (£9500) 2015.
- Spanish Ministry of Economics and Competitiveness: Development of novel damping systems for pedestrian structures. (2014 - 2016) Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Iván Muñoz Díaz and co-investigators Francisco Martínez Cutillas, Juan Carlos Mosquera Feijóo, Rafael Fernández Díaz-Munío, Emiliano Pereira González, Jesús de Sebastián Sanz, Paul Reynolds, Carlos Zanuy Sanchez, José Rodellar Benede, Pablo de la Fuente Martín (€54450)
- Principal's Excellence Fund (£500) 2014
- Spanish Ministry of Education Pre-doctoral Mobility Grant for Mr Andres San-Millan (€3000) 2014.
- ITI Energy: Resonance Enhanced Drilling - Phase 1, (Oct 2009 - Sept 2011). Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. M. Wiercigroch and co-investigators Dr E. Pavlovskaia and Dr D Hendry. (£1.01M).
- NESTech Grant: Development of an apparatus and method for neuromuscular stimulation, (2009 - 2011). Co-investigator, with Dr. Richard Neilson and Dr. Marco Cardinale. (£144K).
- Spanish Ministry of Education Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Dr Emiliano Pereira Gonzales (€43500) 2009-2011.
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Travel Grant for SPIE Smart Structures / NDE 2007: 1700$.
- University of Newcastle, Australia: ECR Encouragement Award 2007: 1000$
- EE 3053 - 3rd year Signals, Systems and Signal Processing (Coordinator and Sole Contributor)
- EE501T - 5th year Advanced Control Engineering (Coordinator and Sole Contributor)
- EG 50F6/G6 Subsea Controls (Coordinator and Contributor)
Thesis and Design supervision
- 4th year MEng / BEng Individual Projects (Thesis)
- 5th year MEng Group Design Projects (Design report)
- Individual Project for MSc students in Subsea, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy programs (Thesis)
- Further Info
- IEEE CSS Conference Editorial Board
- Shock and Vibration
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems
- Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics)
- Applications of Modelling and Simulation
- IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, Sydney, Australia (2015)
Editorial Board Member:
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (2012 - 2015)
- IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- IET Control Theory and Applications
- IOP Smart Materials and Structures
- Asian Journal of Control
- Review of Scientific Instruments (AIP)
- Control Engineering Practice
- Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- Sensors and Actuators (Elsevier)
- Sensors (MDPI)
- Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control
- IFAC World Congress
- IEEE International Conference for Robotics and Automation
- IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering
- IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics
- American Control Conference
- European Control Conference
- International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems
- Springer Publishing Co.
- Cambridge University Press
- Deputy Examination Officer.
- Deputy Program Leader for Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree programs.
- Personal Tutor for ~20 Engineering undergraduate students at various levels.
Honors and Awards
'Third Most Popular Paper in IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology': Design, Identification and Control of a Flexure-basedXY Stage for Fast Nanoscale Positioning - (IEEE Xplore) 160 citations as of September 2017.
Best Paper Award: 17th Asia Simulation Conference, Melacca, Malaysia (2017).
Best Paper Finalist Prize: 17th Asia Simulation Conference, Melacca, Malaysia (2017).
Best Paper Finalist Prize: IEEE/ASME Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics Conference, Xi'an, China (2008).
Research featured on IOP nanotechweb.org, http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/33251 (2008).
Identified by the Australian Research Council as an 'Expert of international standing' (2007).