Elphinstone Hall is located by King's Lawn opposite the High Street. Designed and built in 1930 by A. Marshall Mackenzie, it is one of the University's most recognisable buildings, serving as a large examination hall and hosting the University's graduation ceremonies. The hall can also be hired for dining and recreational purposes, while a series of additional reception rooms in the complex are able to provide for smaller functions.
Much of the sandstone used in the building's construction was repurposed from Castle Newe in Strathdon, demolished in 1927. The hall has a hammer-beam roof and oak-panelled walls, and the coats of arms above the arcade represents many of the building's benefactors and some local bodies.
The building's construction, along with the removal of a large 19th Century professorial manse, saw the creation of King's Lawn as an appealing quadrangle at the heart of the University between King's College Chapel, Elphinstone Hall, New Kings, and the High Street.
The DisabledGo service provides a pan-disability access guide to this building.