Alejandra Rodríguez-Remedi trained as a teacher and educational researcher at the University of Concepción and went on to complete a PhD at Gray's School of Art. Her current research focuses on arts-based approaches to petroculture and the poetics of filmmaker Raúl Ruiz.
- PhD Arts2007 - The Robert Gordon University
- PgCert Research Methods2004 - The Robert Gordon University
- MEd Education2002 - Universidad de Concepción
- Licentiate (equivalent of BEd) Education1998 - Universidad de Concepción
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
LLMVC Cluster C
LLMVC Peer Support Research Group 4 (Environmental Group)
- External Memberships
New Social Art School (2005-10)
- Arts-based approaches to petroculture.
- The poetics of filmmaker Raúl Ruiz.
- Film and exile.
- Film and dream.
I am currently accepting PhDs in Film and Visual Culture.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Film and Visual CultureAccepting PhDs
- Film Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Latin American Society and Culture Studies
Reflecting Oil: Arts-Based Research on Oil Transitionings (University of Applied Arts Vienna/Austrian Science Fund, 2019-24).
Creative Approaches to the Energy Crisis (University of Aberdeen, 2023-24).
Curricular innovation and educational reform in Chile (Universidad de Concepción/FONDECYT, 1998-2002).
The arts as means of cultural integration: A Chilean case study (The Robert Gordon University/ORS, 2002-2007).
Reflecting Oil Colloquium opening event
Welcome, performance, keynote and panel discussion (University of Applied Arts Vienna, 9 June 2022).
Funding and Grants
- Premio Universidad de Concepción, 1998.
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORS) scholarship, 2002.
- Robert Gordon University Research Development Initiative (RDI) studentship, 2002.
- Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS) postgraduate conference bursary, 2004.
- Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS) postgraduate travel grant, 2004.
- Gray's Aberdeen Visual Artists Award (GAVAA), 2008.
- Austrian Science Fund's Programme for Arts-Based Research (PEEK), 2018.
- Internal Funding to Pump-Prime Research and Research Networks, 2023.
Courses taught previously:
- FS40JA - The Shoot: Filming Drama (2009)
- FS5008 - Documentary and Visual Practice 1 (2009)
- FS2506/FS2507 - Cinema and Revolution/Visualising Revolution (2015-21 & 2023 as course coordinator)
- FS2003/FS2007 - Cinema and Modernity/Visualising Modernity (2015-20, & 2021-2 as course coordinator)
- FS30/40GG - Trapped on Film: The Hero and the Captivity Narrative (2018, & 2019 as course coordinator)
- FS35/45FD - Cinematic Cities (2019-21)
- FS5902 - Dissertation in Film and Visual Culture (2019-20 & 2023)
- FS5022 - Research Methods in Film and Visual Culture (2019 & 2021-2)
- FS1508 - Introduction to Film and the Cinematic Experience (2020-3)
- FS35/4509 - Film and Dream (2020 as course coordinator)
- FS4002/FS4506 - Dissertation in Film and Visual Culture (2020-3)
- FS5527 - Projects in Film and Visual Culture (2020 & 2023)
- EL5914 - Dissertation in Cultural and Creative Communication (2020-1)
Non-course Teaching Responsibilities
- Translation support and tutorial assistance for Prof. Raúl Ruiz (2007-9)
- Seminar tutor, FS35IB - On Documentary: history, theory and practice (3 March 2015)
- Undergraduate Open Day (5 October 2019)
- Moderation, FS30/40GB - Panoptic Digital Culture (2019)
- Moderation, FS35/45ZF - Images Adequate to Our Predicament: Art for the Anthropocene (2020)
- Video caption editor, FS2007, FS2507, FS35/45FD and FS5022 (2021)
- Moderation, FS5032 - Work-Based Placement in FVC (2022)
- PGT and UG personal tutor (2023)
- Offer Holder Day (26 April 2023)
- Internal Teaching Review (ITR) Pedagogic Partnership session (10 November 2023)
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 19
The oneiric in Raúl Ruiz’s poetic system of storytellingContributions to Conferences: Papers
Im Fokus: Reflecting OilEIKON - International Magazine for Photography and Media Art, vol. 121, pp. 45-55Contributions to Journals: Articles
Raúl Ruiz, Speculative Bricoleur: Pedagogical and Televisual RupturesRaúl Ruiz's Cinema of Inquiry. López-Vicuña, I., Marinescu, A. (eds.). Wayne State University Press, pp. 69-94, 26 pagesChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Evaluación de escuelas participantes en los Programas 900 Escuelas y Básica Rural en la Octava Región, ChileEdiciones Facultad de Educación de la Universidad de Concepción, Concepción. 137 pagesBooks and Reports: Books
Through a glass, darkly: Visualisation, revelation and reflection in Ernst Logar’s Invisible OilInvisible Oil. Logar, E. (ed.). Springer, pp. 47-69, 23 pagesChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Ruizian ruptures of the mainstream: Chilean television and British film studiesContributions to Conferences: Papers
Cofralandes: A Formative Space for Chilean IdentityVisual Synergies in Fiction and Documentary Film from Latin America. Haddu, M., Page, J. (eds.). Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 87-103, 17 pagesChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Ruiz and the critical mainstreamContributions to Conferences: Papers
Ruizian bricolage as philosophical approximationContributions to Conferences: Papers
The Student Protest Movement and Teacher Education in Chile, 2006-2008Interactive Discourse: International Online Journal of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 62-76Contributions to Journals: Articles