Dr Douglas Bain
PhD LLM LLB BA Dip LP
PhD (Aberdeen University), LLB (Aberdeen University), LLM (Aberdeen University), BA (RGIT), Dip LP (Aberdeen University), Certificate in Management (Nottingham Trent University).
1980-1983, full-time sabbatical officer, RGIT Student Association. 1984-1987, trainee in housing management, Gordon District Council. 1987-2003, housing aid worker (later area manager), Shelter Scotland. 2003-2006 advice volunteer, Aberdeen Cyrenians. 2003-2014, advice standards auditor – Scottish National Standards for Information and Advice, Michael Bell Associates Research & Consultancy.
Aberdeen University, Tutor (2006-), Research Assistant (2006-2008), Teaching Fellow (2012-2015), Lecturer (Scholarship) (2015 - ).
Douglas is the honours co-ordinator for the Law School.
Honours co-ordinator, Year 4 group co-ordinator, Law School Copyright Officer, Law School/Aberdeen Student Law Project liaison.
PhD - The Use and Management of Common Property in Land in Scotland (http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?did=2&uin=uk.bl.ethos.600112)
LLM - The Regulation by Statute of Complaints Against Solicitors in Scotland
- (Bain D., Carey Miller D.), Scottish reports in Protection of Immovables in European Legal Systems, 2015. Eds. Sonia Martin Santisteban and Peter Sparkes.
- (Bain D.), Note: Land Reform (Scotland) Bill, (2015) 170 SPEL 85.
- (Bain D., Bury C.), Golf and the Right to Roam, Journal of the Law Society of Scotland, Nov. 2013.
- (Bain D., Bury C.), A Home is a Home, SCOLAG, pp.4 - 6, 2013
- (Bain D., Bury C.), A, B and C → A, Revisited, 2013, Juridical Review, 2013
- (Bain D., Combe M.), ‘Leases’ in Gloag and Henderson: The Law of Scotland, 13th ed, 2012. Eds. Lord Eassie and Hector L MacQueen
- (Bain D., Paisley, R.), ‘Land Ownership’ in Gloag and Henderson: The Law of Scotland, 13, 2012. Eds. Lord Eassie and Hector L MacQueen
- (Bain D., Bury C.), 'Mere Squatters?’ Journal of the Law Society of Scotland, Nov. 2012.
- (Bain D., Bury C.), 'Hunter v Tindale, Tenement Disrepair?', Juridical Review, 3, pp.251 - 262, 2012
- (Bain D., Bury C.), Trapped by the Wildlife Act, Journal of the Law Society of Scotland, Aug. 2012
- (Bain D., Bury C.), Souvenirs of Scotland, Aberdeen Student Law Review, 2012
- (Bain D., Bury C.), Nelson v Kinnaird: Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt down on the farm, S.L.G, 80(1), pp.16 - 20, 2012
- (Bain D., Ross M.), Report on Evaluation of In-Court Mediation Schemes in Glasgow and Aberdeen Sheriff Courts, Scottish Government, Social Research, 2010
- (Bain D.), A new day dawning for professional complaints? Part 1, SCOLAG, pp.274 - 276, 2008. Part 2, SCOLAG, pp.298 - 301, 2008.
- (Bain D., Carey Miller D.), ‘Property: General Matters’, ‘Movable Property: Corporeal’, ‘Land Ownership’ in Gloag and Henderson: The Law of Scotland, 12th ed, 2007. Eds. Lord Coulsfield and Hector L MacQueen.
- (Bain D., Van der Merwe C G.), The fish that got away: some reflections on Valentine v Kennedy, Edinburgh Law Review, 12(3), pp.418 - 428, 2008.
Work In Progress
- (Bain D., Combe M.), ‘Land Ownership’ and ‘Leases’ in Gloag and Henderson: The Law of Scotland, 14th ed (due 2017).
- Statute annotations for Scottish Landlord and Tenant Legislation.
- Co-editor, David Carey Miller festschrift.
Access Course for Law (AX10LS) Sole lecturer. Marking.
Law of Property (LS2031)
Commercial Organisations and Insolvency (LS2525)
Business Law (LS2533) Co-ordinator
English Property Law (LS3529) Co-ordinator
Law of Leases in Scotland (LS4086) Co-ordinator
Dissertation (LS/LX4025) Co-ordinator
Voluntary Scotland (LS/LX451P) Co-ordinator
Land and Property Law (PO2010) Co-ordinator
Property Law and Institutions (BU5032) Co-ordinator