Your Rights

Your Rights

You have rights to obtain a copy of your personal information, and to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information.

Under certain conditions, you can also ask us to take the following action:

  • restrict the way we use your personal information
  • erase your personal information
  • provide you with a portable electronic copy of personal information.

These rights depend on our lawful basis for processing your personal information. This means we may not be able to comply with your request in every case. If we cannot do as you ask, we will always reply to you and explain our position.

You also have the right to object to the University processing your personal information for many of our teaching, research and administrative activities. We will consider the reasons why you have objected when reaching a decision about your request. If you object to direct marketing activities by the University, we will stop using your information for that purpose.

There is no charge to make a request, but we may need evidence to confirm your identity before we can take action. We will respond to requests within a month.

You can ask about your privacy rights or make a request about your personal information by contacting the University Data Protection Officer.


The University of Aberdeen
King's College
AB24 3FX

+44 (0)1224 273175

If are dissatisfied with the way the University has handled your personal information or dealt with your data protection issue, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner. The Information Commissioner’s Office can be contacted via their website at