Information that we collect and use about you
The University collects and uses the following personal information about people who enquire about studying at the University, or who apply to study with us.
(Please note that we do not hold all categories of personal information for all enquirers and applicants, and the list may not be exhaustive.)
- Your personal details: your title, names, gender, date of birth and nationality
- Equalities information: your ethnic origin, religious belief and sexual orientation
- Your contact details: postal addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers
- Your contact preferences
- Your education, qualifications and work experience
- Your study interests
- Your enquiries to us and visits to our websites
- Your application to study, personal statement and references
- Information about your disabilities for which you may need support
- Your relevant criminal convictions if you apply for a course involving regulated work with children and vulnerable adults
- Your immigration status and passport details if you apply from outside of the UK
- Your fee status and student finance options
- Payment related information for the paying of deposits
- Your parent or guardian’s education and occupational background
We collect this information during the enquiry and admission processes either directly from you or from the following sources.
- The Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)
- The agents you use to make an application
- Examination and awarding bodies
- Your referees, sponsors and nominated contacts
- The University’s academic delivery partners if you apply to study through one of our foundation programmes
- Disclosure Scotland or the Disclosure & Barring Service if you apply for a course involving regulated work with children and vulnerable adults
- Your chosen Payment Providers for the paying of deposits
Why we process this information, and our lawful basis
We collect and use your personal information for the purpose of student recruitment and to administer the University.
There are several lawful bases on which the University routinely processes your personal information. These are:
- to fulfil the University’s contractual relationship with you
- to comply with our legal obligations under equalities, health and safety, immigration, safeguarding and higher education governance legislation
- to enable the University to deliver its public tasks to provide teaching, promote research and administer the University
- we may also contact you with information about the University and the activities and opportunities it provides where relevant to your application or enquiry.
Disclosing your information
The University routines shares your personal information in the following ways:
- to comply with our legal obligation to provide information to the Higher Education Statistics Authority on behalf of the Scottish Funding Council. The ways in which HESA handles your personal information is described in their privacy notice.
- to comply with our legal obligations as a licensed sponsor of employment visas to provide information to the UK Government.
- to comply with our legal obligations to safeguard children and vulnerable adults by verifying criminal convictions with Disclosure Scotland or the Disclosure & Barring Service.
- to confirm your eligibility for tuition fee funding with agencies including the Student Awards Agency for Scotland and the Student Loans Company.
- with funding bodies for sponsorship or scholarship purposes.
The third party suppliers we use for IT support also have access to your personal information in order to provide these services to the University.
We may disclose personal information to other recipients in exceptional circumstances or when required to do so by law.
We will transfer your personal information to countries and organisations outside the UK where necessary to administer the University. We have agreements in place with our partners to safeguard your information.
How long your information is kept
The University retains personal information of applicants and enquirers for up to ten years.
Information about the way we handle your personal information if you accept a place to study and register with us as a student is described in our Current Students privacy notice.
Queries about how your data is processed can be addressed to the Information Governance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can also contact the Information Commission (ICO) for guidance or to raise concern.