Professor Zaheer Khan
PhD, SFHEA, FAcSS
Professor in Strategy & International Business
Zaheer Khan is a Professor in Strategy & International Business at University of Aberdeen Business School, the University of Aberdeen. Prior to joining the University of Aberdeen in 2020, he taught at the University of Kent, the University of Sheffield, University of Hull, the University of Birmingham and Royal Holloway University of London. He was the Head of the Strategy & International Business Division and a member of Senior Management Team (2017-2020) at Kent Business School, the University of Kent, UK. He is a Senior Fellow of the Advance HE, and an elected Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS).
He is a visiting Professor of Internationalization and Sustainable Innovation at the University of Vaasa, Finland. Zaheer was a visiting Professor of International Business (2017-2019) at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Republic of Korea, and a visiting Professor of International Business Strategy (2015-Current) at University of Northampton, UK.
He is an Associate Editor of Critical Perspectives on International Business, and sits on the editorial board of the British Journal of Management, Journal of World Business, Management International Review, International Studies of Management & Organization, Multinational Business Review, and Journal of Knowledge Management.
Prior to entering academia, he worked as a Consultant for Capgemini Ernst & Young, USA. He gained his PhD in International Business at the University of Birmingham, UK.
His work has appeared in some of the leading international business/strategy, and interdisciplinary business management journals including:
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal of World Business
- International Business Review
- Management International Review
- Global Strategy Journal
- Long Range Planning
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- British Journal of Management
- Human Relations
- Human Resource Management
- International Journal of Management Reviews
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
Zaheer is the Founding Director of the Africa-Asia Centre for Sustainability Research, launched in 2021.
- External Memberships
Professor Khan has examined numerous PhDs in the UK and overseas institutions such as the University of Manchester, University of Birmingham, King's College London, UK, Macquarie University, Australia, and COMSATS University, Pakistan.
He is also an external examiner at Alliance Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, and the University of Leicester Business School, University of Leicester, UK.
Zaheer has worked as a Consultant, Systems Analyst and Project Manager for a number of Fortune 500 companies.
He is a member of the following Professional Associations:
Prizes and Awards
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS), February 2021.
- Top cited article for 2020-2021 for the British Journal of Management, awarded on 31st of March, 2022 (COVID-19 Pandemic in the New Era of Big Data Analytics: Methodological Innovations and Future Research Directions).
- Top cited article for 2020-2021 for the International Journal of Management Reviews, awarded on 1st of April, 2022 (Collaboration and Internationalization of SMEs: Insights and Recommendations from a Systematic Review).
- 16th Vaasa conference on International Business (2021), University of Vaasa, Finland Best Paper award (with Pushyarag Puthusserry, University of Kent, UK, Krsitel Miller, University of Ulster, UK, Gary Knight, Willamette University, USA), awarded on the 18th of August, 2021 (Exploring the influence of dynamic managerial capabilities on emerging market SME BMI during COVID-19).
- Top cited article for the Human Resource Management (US-Wiley- FT50) for 2019-2020, awarded on the 15th of April, 2021 (Human resource Management in Chinese multinationals in the United Kingdom: The interplay of institutions, culture, and strategic choice).
- 10th Most Cited Article for the Journal of Organizational Behavior Impact Factor for 2019, awarded on the 10th of August, 2020 (The microlevel actions undertaken by owner managers in improving the sustainability practices of cultural and creative small and medium enterprises: A United Kingdom Italy comparison).
- University of Birmingham Research Methods Best Paper Award (with Pushyarag Puthusserry, University of Kent, UK) received at the 46th Academy of International Business UK & Ireland Chapter 2019 Conference, University of Sussex, UK (How Do Rapidly Internationalizing SMEs Learn? Exploring the Link Between Network Relationships, Learning Approaches and Post-entry Growth of Rapidly Internationalizing SMEs from Emerging Markets).
Zaheer's research interests are in the area of global technology management, international alliances, post-acquisition behaviour of emerging markets' firms, automotive industry, internationalisation of SMEs, and CSR practices of firms operating in emerging markets. He is currently editing special issues at the Management International Review, Journal of International Management, and Critical Perspectives on International Business. He had also co-edited special issues at the International Business Review, International Studies of Management & Organization and Applied Psychology-An International Review.
Professor Khan would be interested in supervising potential PhD students in these areas:
- Knowledge transfer in international alliances
- Capability building processes of local suppliers in the automotive industry
- Emerging economies firms' CSR and sustainability practices
- Internationalisation of SMEs and family firms
Most recent Supervisees
Bochra Idris: Essays on SMEs' Internationalisation: An Empirical Analysis Using Large-Scale Survey Data.
Abdullah Alajmi, University of Sheffield (2021). Topic: Reverse Knowledge Transfer from Multinational Subsidiaries to their Headquarters in the GCC – the mediating effects of social equity, transfer mechanisms, trust and willingness (External Supervisor)
Zaheer current research focuses on internationalization of SMEs from emerging markets, international knowledge transfer in alliances, internationalization of firms from emerging markets, governance and sustainability of supply chains, and CSR stratregies of firms operating in emerging markets. He has published widely on these and related interdisciplinary themes.
Zaheer has a large network of collaborators across the UK, Asia and North America. Current projects are in the area of knowledge transfer in international alliances, cross-sector partnerships, board gender diversity and cross-listing, internationalization of firms from emerging markets, and non-market political and social strategies of firms based in emerging markets.
Funding and Grants
Professor Khan has received grants from the ISBE (RAKE-Fund), British Academy of Management, and he is a member of an interdisciplinary Productivity Insight Network funded by the ESRC (worth £1.8million).
- Knowledge transfer in international alliances
Zaheer has taught Business in Emerging Markets, Cross-Cultural Management, Business Strategy and Global Business Issues (undergraduate level), International Business Environment & Strategy and Strategic Management (postgraduate level) courses. His teaching is mainly case-based and research-oriented. He is also interested in investigating the issues and challenges faced by students in developing critical thinking skills in higher education, and the utility of threshold concepts in strategy courses.
Page 1 of 13 Results 1 to 10 of 123
Governing corporate social responsibility decoupling: The effect of the governance committee on corporate social responsibility decouplingJournal of Business EthicsContributions to Journals: Articles
International open innovation and international market success: an empirical study of emerging market small and medium-sized enterprisesInternational Marketing Review, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 755-782Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Role of Emotions in Cross-border Mergers & Acquisitions: A Systematic Review of the Inter-disciplinary Literature and Future Research AgendaJournal of International Management, vol. 28, no. 4, 100958Contributions to Journals: Articles
Innovation ambidexterity and public innovation Intermediaries: The mediating role of capabilitiesJournal of Business Research, vol. 149, pp. 14-29Contributions to Journals: Articles
Corporate Foresight: A Systematic Literature Review and Future Research trajectoriesJournal of Business Research, vol. 144, pp. 289-311Contributions to Journals: Articles
Survival strategies adopted by microbusinesses during COVID-19: An exploration of ethnic minority restaurants in Northern FinlandInternational Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & ResearchContributions to Journals: Articles
Managing socio-political risk at the subnational level: lessons from MNE subsidiaries in IndonesiaJournal of World Business, vol. 57, no. 3, 101312Contributions to Journals: Articles
A typology of emerging market SMEs Covid-19 response strategies: The Role of TMT and Organisational DesignBritish Journal of Management, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 603-633Contributions to Journals: Articles
Strategic Ambidexterity and Its Performance Implications for Emerging Economies MultinationalsInternational Business Review, vol. 31, no. 3, 101762Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Interaction of Social Influence and Message Framing on Children’s Food ChoiceEuropean Journal of MarketingContributions to Journals: Articles