Lab 1.33 01224 437417
Office 5.16 01224 437492
School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition,
Institute of Medical Sciences
University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Department of Medince and Therapeutics. Aberdeen, UK. PhD in Haemostasis & Vascular Biology (1997-2000). Supervisor Dr Nuala A Booth. Funded by ACTR.
University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK. BSc (Hons) (1993-1997) in Molecular and Cellular Biology.
2016: Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition. Insitute of Medical Sciences, (IMS).
2011-2016: British Heart Foundation Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, School of Medicine and Dentistry, IMS.
2010-2011: Research Fellow funded by British Heart Foundation, School of Medicine and Dentistry, IMS.
2007-2010: Tenure-track Independent Research Fellow in Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of BIological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.
2004-2006: Postdoctoral research associate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Medicine, Champaign, Illinois, USA.
2001-2003: Postdoctoral research fellow, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Aberdeen, UK.
- BSc hons Molecular Biology1997 - University of Aberdeen
- PhD Thrombosis & Vascular Biology2001 - University of Aberdeen
I am currently accepting PhDs in Biomedical Sciences.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Dr Claire Whyte
BHF funded post-doc (Dec 2015-May 2019). Claire has been in the lab since January 2011 and is on her second BHF-funded project grant. Claire is currently working on the role of platelet-derived plasmiongen in driving local fibrinolysis.
CURRENT PhD STUDENTS
Mohammad Jalal: Start date 01/12/2012; Funded by the Saudi Arabian Government. 4 year PhD.
Paraskevi Untiveros: Start date 01/09/2014; Funded by the Chief Scientist Office. Clinical Fellow 3 year PhD.
Gael Morrow: Start date 12/01/2015; Funded by the British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis, British Society of Haematology and Lifeblood. 3 Year PhD.
Maria-Louise Williams: Start date 01/10/16; Funded by the Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen. 3 year PhD.
Mrs Ausra Lionikiene. Ausra was employed a research technician on my BHF-funded fellowship and studying the biological significance of factor XII. Ausra was an integral member of the team organising the lab, finances and all the personnel.
Funding and Grants
1. British Heart Foundation Project Grant PI: NJ Mutch (Dec 2015-Dec 2018) 'Platelet plasminogen as a driver of local fibrinolysis'
2. British Society of Haematology / Lifeblood / British Society of Thrombosis & Haemostasis PhD Studentship PI: NJ Mutch; Co-I CS Whyte (Jan 2015-Jan 2018) 'The impact of thrombus composition on regulation of fibrinolysis under flow'
4. Friends of Anchor PI: Dr Paraskevi Untiveros, Co-I Dr Nicola J Mutch, Dr Henry Watson (Aug 2016-Aug 2017) The role of ABO blood group in thrombosis
5. Chief Scientist Office, Scottish Government Fellow: P Untiveros; Supervisors: NJ Mutch, H Watson ''Influence of Anaemia on Clot Structure'
6. Friends of Anchor PI: NJ Mutch (Apr 2015-Nov 2016) 'A functional role of platelet FXIII-A in clot retraction'
1. British Heart Foundation Basic Science Fellowship Fellow: NJ Mutch (Mar 2011-Mar 2016 Includes two maternity leaves) 'Characterising the physiological role of factor XII and the contact system'
2. British Heart Foundation Project Grant PI: NJ Mutch; Co-I: RAS Ariëns (Jan 2012-Dec 2015) 'Changes in fibrin clot structure and susceptibility to lysis induced by polyphosphate'
3. Aberdeen Development Trust PhD Studentship PI: NJ Mutch (Oct 2012-Apr 2016) 'The antifibrinolytic function of factor XIII'
4. Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland PI Isobel Ford Co-I NJ Mutch, MJ McLeod. () Responsiveness to thrombolytic therapy of for Ischaemic stroke
5. British Heart Foundation Project Grant (PG/07/122/23480). PI: NJ Mutch (Jun 2008-Oct 2012) 'Polyphosphate as a physiological surface for contact activation
- MT5524/MT5024 - Molecular Pharmacology
- BDS - Cardiovascular System
- BDS - Endocrinology
Course coordinator for BM5003 Cardiovascular Health and Disease