Professor Alfred Akisanya
PhD (Cantab), FIMechE, CEng
Professor Akisanya studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria where he obtained a First Class, BSc (Honours) degree and M.Sc degree in Mechanical Engineering. He worked briefly for Shell Nigeria before subsequently studying for his PhD on Interfacial Fracture at Cambridge University Engineering Department under the supervision of Prof. Norman Fleck, FRS, and with funding from Shell-Cambridge Commonwealth Trust. He worked as Research Associate at Cambridge University with Prof. Alan Cocks on the mechanics of powder compaction before joining the lecturing staff of Aberdeen University Engineering Department. Prof Akisanya is a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (CEng) and Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE).
- BSc (Honours) Mechanical Engineering1985 - University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- MSc Mechanical Engineering1987 - University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- PhD Solid Mechanics1992 - University of Cambridge, U.K.
- External PhD examiner for Universities of Cambridge, Oxford, Cranfield, Surrey, Leicester, Brunel and Newcastle; Universite Pierre & Marie Curie - Paris 6; NTU Singapore; and NUS Singapore
- External Examiner for MSc Petroleum Engineering at Heriot Watt University (2016-2021)
- External Examiner for BEng Mechanical Engineering at University of Leicester (2019 - )
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education
- Referee for different international scientific journals including: Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids; International Journal of Solids and Structures; International Journal of Mechanical Sciences; The European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids; Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures; International Journal of Fracture; Journal of American Ceramics Society; Journal of Biomechanics.
- Referee of grant proposals for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
- Professional Review Interviewer of Chartered Engineer applicants for the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Member of the Academic Standard Panel (ASP) of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Fracture and design of bonded joints and layered solids.
- Structural integrity and corrosion
- Integrity of Oil and Gas Wells
- Well and Drilling Engineering
- Mechanical behaviour of engineering materials in high pressure-high temperature environment
- Mechanics of powder compaction.
- Deformation and fracture of bituminous and viscoelastic materials.
- Mechanics of the cold expansion of metallic tubulars.
- Deformation and design optimisation of energy absorbing structures.
Funding and Grants
“Longevity and fate of structures left in place” funded by OGTC, £200k, 2020-2024. (Co-I, with Dr Sriramula (PI) and Dr Siddiq (Co-I).)
“Strengthening academia-industry linkage and research space in the area of civil engineering for food security in sub-Saharan Africa (SAICE)” funded by RAEng, £200k, (with £30k for Aberdeen), 2019-2021. (PI for Aberdeen part, with Igor Guz, Ana Ivanovic Israel Osofero as Co-Is.) In collaboration with 4 universities in sub-Saharan Africa.
“Post Decommissioning Monitoring” funded by Shell UK, £302k, 2019-2022. (Co-I with Dr Sriramula as PI and four other Co-Is.)
- “A study of rock-fluid interaction processes in porous media causing formation damages.”, Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Nigeria, £67k, 2017-2020 (Co-investigator with Dr Hamidi as PI).
“Well control and drilling fluid optimisation in unconventional layered reservoirs”, Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Nigeria, £62k, 2016-2018 (Co-investigator with Dr Hamidi as PI)
- “A study to understand the creep behaviour of novel alloys for oil well plugging and abandonment application” £35k; Oil and Gas Innovation Centre (OGIC) and Rawwater Engineering Company Ltd., 2016-17 (PI)
- “Condition and integrity assessment of large diameter offshore wire ropes” £33.4k; Technip UK Ltd; 2012-13. (PI)
- “Development of novel structural and sealing components for large sectional tanks.” £125k, KTP with Balmoral Sectional Tanks Ltd, 2011-2013 (Co-investigator, with Prof Guz as PI and Prof Kashtalyan as a co-investigator).
- “Design optimisation and performance of a protruded composite rod for downhole applications in oil and gas wells.” £192k, KTP with Ziebel UK Ltd, 2010-2013 (Co-investigator, with Prof Guz as PI and Dr Menshykov as a co-investigator).
- “Technology assessment for Tobermory field development: materials selection criteria for subsea tieback.” Funded by Total EP, UK through the National Subsea Research Institute (NSRI); £7k, 2010; (PI).
- “The development of design standards for a friction grip system for securing oil and gas casing”; 2009-2011; £108k, Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Plexus Ocean Systems Ltd. (Co-investigator with Dr Bin Wang as PI).
- “The development of a friction grip system for securing oil and gas casing and tubulars in hostile surface and subsea conditions”; 2006-2008; £150k, Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Plexus Ocean Systems Ltd.(PI, with WF Deans and RD Neilson as co-investigators).
- “Analysis and optimisation of the in-situ hydraulic expansion of oil well tubulars”; 2003-2005; £118k; Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Read Wells Ltd. (PI, with Dr. W.F. Deans as co-investigator).
- “A study of decompression after cold isostatic compaction of ceramics”; 2001-2004; £60k; EPSRC; (co-investigator, with Dr. R.J. Henderson as PI).
- “A study of decompression after cold isostatic compaction of ceramics”; 2001-2004; £9k; Vesuvius UK; (co-investigator, with Dr. R.J. Henderson as PI)
- “The mechanics of cold expansion of tubulars for downhole application in the oil and gas industry”; 2001-2004; £165k; Teaching Company Scheme with Shell International (PI, with Dr. W.F. Deans as co-investigator)
- “The design and analysis of threaded connectors for down-hole applications”; 1999-2001; £80k; Teaching Company Scheme with Petroleum Engineering Services (co-investigator, with Dr. W.F. Deans as Lead Academic).
- “Isostatic pressing of continuous casting refractories”; 1997-2000; £145k; EPSRC; (co-investigator, with Prof. H.W. Chandler as principal investigator).
- “Isostatic pressing of continuous casting refractories”; 1997-2001; £9k; Vesuvius UK; (co-investigator, with Prof. H.W. Chandler as principal investigator).
- “The mechanical behaviour and design optimisation of asphaltic bridge deck expansion plugs”; 1997-2001; £123k; EPSRC; (co-investigator, with Dr. M.S. Imbabi as principal investigator).
- “The development of a large deformation elastomeric bridge plug for wireline applications”; 1996-1998; £80k; Teaching Company Scheme with Petroleum Engineering Services (Lead Academic).
EM3015 Stress Analysis
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 25 of 64
Minimizing formation damage in drilling operations: A critical point for optimizing productivity in sandstone reservoirs intercalated with clayEnergies, vol. 15, no. 1, 162Contributions to Journals: Articles
Sand failure: effect of biocide on the geomechanical properties of outcrop carbonate rock under static conditionArabian Journal of Geosciences, vol. 13, 1239Contributions to Journals: Articles
Evaluation of Interactions Between Oilfield Chemicals and Reservoir RocksNatural Resources Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 1239-1258Contributions to Journals: Articles
Solution Volume Effect: Corrosion of Super Duplex PipesMaterials Performance, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 40-44Contributions to Journals: Articles
A new method for pore structure quantification and pore network extraction from SEM imagesEnergy & Fuels, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 82-94Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of ammonium bisulphite and chloride on the pitting and stress corrosion cracking resistance of super duplex stainless steel pipes under combined internal pressure and axial tensionMaterials and Corrosion, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 661-675Contributions to Journals: Articles
Sand Failure: Effect of Biocide on the Geomechanical Properties of Outcrop Carbonate Rock Under Static ConditionsRecent Advances in Geo-Environmental Engineering, Geomechanics and Geotechnics, and Geohazards. Kallel, A., Erguler, Z. A., Cui, Z., Karrech, A., Karakus, M., Kulatilake, P., Shukla, S. K. (eds.). Springer, pp. 183 - 185, 3 pagesChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Failure analysis of a failed anchor chain linkEngineering Failure Analysis, vol. 89, pp. 258-270Contributions to Journals: Articles
Geomechanical effects of oilfield chemicals on sand failure in reservoir rocksJournal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 165, pp. 347-357Contributions to Journals: Articles
Chemo-Thermo-Poromechanical Wellbore Stability Modelling Using Multi-Component Drilling FluidsChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Fracture initiation in bi-material joints subject to combined tension and shear loadingJournal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 19-20, pp. 2092-2104Contributions to Journals: Articles
Indentation failure of circular composite sandwich platesMaterials & Design, vol. 89, pp. 439-447Contributions to Journals: Articles
Experimental studies of the resultant contact forces in drillbit-rock interactionInternational Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 91, pp. 3-11Contributions to Journals: Articles
Autoclave design for high pressure-high temperature corrosion studiesJournal of Engineering Design And Technology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 539-555Contributions to Journals: Articles
Debonding along the fixed anchor length of a ground anchorageEngineering Structures, vol. 74, pp. 23-31Contributions to Journals: Articles
Burst pressure of super duplex stainless steel pipes subject to combined axial tension, internal pressure and elevated temperatureInternational Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, vol. 119, pp. 62-68Contributions to Journals: Articles
Analysis of bolted flanged panel joint for GRP sectional tanksApplied Composite Materials, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 247-261Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Mechanical Behavior of a 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steel at Elevated TemperatureJournal of Materials Engineering and Performance , vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 598-606Contributions to Journals: Articles
Dynamics of a Drifting Impact Oscillator with a Conical ProfileChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Drifting Impact Oscillator With a New Model of the Progression PhaseJournal of Applied Mechanics , vol. 79, no. 6, 061007Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of ageing on phase evolution and mechanical properties of a high tungsten super-duplex stainless steelMaterials Science and Engineering A, vol. 535, pp. 281-289Contributions to Journals: Articles
Cold hydraulic expansion of oil well tubularsInternational Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, vol. 88, no. 11-12, pp. 465-472Contributions to Journals: Articles
The effect of hydrogen sulphide on ammonium bisulphite when used as an oxygen scavenger in aqueous solutionsCorrosion Science, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 4014-4025Contributions to Journals: Articles
Global and local dynamics of drifting oscillator for different contact force modelsInternational Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 850-858Contributions to Journals: Articles
The effect of ammonium bisulfite on sulphide in Brine/H2S solutionContributions to Conferences: Papers