University of Aberdeen composers recently swept the Cantus Ensemble's composition competition, with PhD student composers Sarah Rimkus taking first prize and Alison Willis winning the vote for audience favourite.
Composers from across the country submitted settings of the Magnificat to be performed alongside Arvo Pärt's Nunc Dimittis by the skilled young London-based chamber choir, directed by Dominic Brennan. Sarah and Alison were chosen out of a group of four finalists, whose compositions were performed at St. Gabriel's, Warwick Square on Saturday 8 July in front of a substantial audience and distinguished panel of judges.
This comes on the heels of many competitive successes for University of Aberdeen composers, including PhD student Mike Merrill's work for concert band 'Glacier Peaks' winning James Madison University's New Music for Young Musicians competition, and senior lecturer Dr Phillip Cooke winning the tenth annual anthem competition of the First Baptist Church of Worcester, MA USA.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2016
- Feb There are no items for February 2016
- Mar There are no items for March 2016
- Apr There are no items for April 2016
- May There are no items for May 2016
- Jun There are no items for June 2016
- Jul There are no items for July 2016
- Aug There are no items for August 2016
- Oct There are no items for October 2016