The aim of the Capturing the Energy project is to promote wider recognition of the technical and cultural importance of the offshore oil and gas industry and encourage retention of significant records for research and education.
The University of Aberdeen is the hub of the network supporting this programme. Partners include:
- Aberdeen City Council
- Business Archive Council (Scotland)
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Norwegian Petroleum Museum
- Norwegian State Archives
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Scottish Enterprise Grampian
- United Kingdom Offshore Operators Association
- University of Aberdeen
Special Collections has established an Oil & Gas Archive to hold records collected as part of the 'Capturing the Energy' programme. There is a growing collection of industry-related archive material spanning forty years. All areas will be represented in holdings, including major companies, the supply chain and smaller, personal collections. The University acts as a physical repository for deposited material.