BiographyDr Roozbeh Rafati, (BEng, MSc, PhD) is a researcher, chartered professional engineer, and lecturer in the fields of Geoenergy Engineering and Fluid Flow in Porous Media.
Winner of the University of Aberdeen Teaching Excellence Award 2022 (Category: Most Accessible Lecturer)
Runner up for the University of Aberdeen Teaching Excellence Award 2022 (Category: Best Postgraduate Lecturer)
- Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen (UK). Jan. 2022 - Present.
- Lecturer, University of Aberdeen (UK). Aug. 2015 - Dec 2021
- Teaching Fellow, University of Aberdeen (UK). Aug. 2013 - Aug 2015
- Lecturer, University Technology Mara (Malaysia). Jul. 2010 - Aug.2013.
- Researcher, University Technology Malaysia (UTM). Jun. 2009 - May.2010.
- Reservoir Engineer, South Pars Gas Field Development (Iran). Nov. 2006 - Dec.2008.
- Research Assistant, Sharif University of Technology (Iran). Oct. 2005 - Nov.2006.
- Internship, National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC). Jul. 2002 - Sep.2002.
My main research is the application of smart materials in the upstream petroleum industry. The focus of my research is on phase behaviour, transportation and retention of smart colloidal systems such as emulsions and foams in pipes/porous media and their impact on oil/gas production enhancement as well as a fundamental understanding of the interactions at the interfaces between gaseous, liquid and solid phases at high pressure and temperature conditions. I am currently working on the application of nanoparticles in gas leakage reduction, rheologically stable drilling fluids in deepwater drilling and smart foams for artificial lifting process.
• Foam phase behaviour, stability and rheological properties
• Foam flow in porous media
• Application of Nanotechnology in upstream oil and gas industry
• Biodegradable and green chemicals for upstream oil and gas industry
• Modelling and simulation of EOR processes
• Pore-scale studies of multiphase fluid
I am currently accepting PhDs in Engineering.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
- Effect of Nanoparticles and viscosifiers on water unloading in low energy gas wells
- Application of magnetic nanoparticles on oil-water separation
- Effect of nanoparticles on heat transfer and rheological properties of drilling fluids
Lawrence Boampong (PhD student)
Linda Tatiana Lezama (PhD student)
David Vazquez (PhD student)
Marwan Matouq (PhD student)
Tamunomiebaka Papamie (PhD student)
Botelho Disu (PhD student)
Ahmed Bashir (PhD student)
Joseph Sherratt (PhD student)
Talal Mostafa (PhD student)
Mohamed Reyani (PhD student)
Samuel Ofesi (PhD student)
Dr Mahdi Sadri (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
Dr Natalie Boyou (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
Christopher Nicklas (Research Assistant)
Owen Jenkins (Research Assistant)
Azis Yudhowijoyo (PhD student)
Rizky Novara (PhD student)
Funding and Grants
-APPLICATION OF NANOPARTICLES TO IMPROVE EFFICIENCY OF BATCH FOAM LIFTING PROCESS
OIL AND GAS TECHNOLOGY CENTRE AND 3 INDUSTRIAL PARTNERS
£136,794 (PLUS £111,000 MATERIAL CONTRIBUTION AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT BY INDUSTRIAL PARTNERS)
5/03/20 → 4/03/21
-FORMULATING NEW NANO-BASED DRILLING FLUIDS WITH ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY SURFACTANTS EXTRACTED FROM AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD WASTES
1/09/19 → 31/08/21
-USING TEMPERATURE INCREASE TO ACCELERATE THE SETTING OF CEMENT IN OIL WELL CONDUCTOR CEMENTING OPERATIONS (OGIC)
OIL AND GAS INNOVATION CENTRE
22/01/19 → 15/07/19
-INVESTIGATION OF ENHANCED OIL RECOVERY PROCESSES IN COMPLEX FRACTURED RESERVOIR
1/04/20 → 31/03/23
-FORMULATION OF COST-EFFECTIVE NANOCOMPOSITE-GEL FROM WASTES TO CONTROL UNWANTED GAS PRODUCTION FROM PETROLEUM RESERVOIRS
1/04/18 → 31/03/19
-APPLICATION OF ULTRASOUND RADIATION FOR STIMULATING CONDENSATE BANKING AROUND WELLBORE IN GAS CONDENSATE RESERVOIRS
PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT FUND
1/02/18 → 31/01/21
-FACULTY ENHANCEMENT TRAVEL GRANT
SOCIETY FOR PETROLEUM ENGINEERS (SPE)
1/01/18 → 30/09/19
-APPLICATION OF STABLE-RHEOLOGY DRILLING FLUID TO INHIBIT HYDRATE FORMATION IN DEEPWATER DRILLING
INDONESIA ENDOWMENT FUNDS
1/05/16 → 30/04/20
-EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF NANOPARTICLE-STABILISED FOAM AND ITS DYNAMIC RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES AT HIGH-TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS
1/09/17 → 31/10/18
- Reservoir Engineering (Coordinator and Contributor)
- Reservoir Simulation (Coordinator and Contributor)
- Petroleum Engineering Design (Coordinator and Contributor)
- Field Development Plan and Economics (Contributor)
Page 4 of 4 Results 31 to 40 of 40
Experimental study on stability and rheological properties of aqueous foam in the presence of reservoir natural solid particlesColloids and Surfaces. A, Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 509, pp. 19-31Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Application of Robotic Drilling Systems in Extreme EnvironmentsChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
The effect of ultrasonic waves on the phase behavior of a surfactant-brine-oil systemColloids and Surfaces. A, Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 482, pp. 27-33Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of ultrasound radiation duration on emulsification and demulsification of paraffin oil and surfactant solution/brine using Hele-shaw modelsUltrasonics sonochemistry, vol. 26, pp. 428-436Contributions to Journals: Articles
A technique for evaluating the oil/heavy-oil viscosity changes under ultrasound in a simulated porous mediumUltrasonics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 655-662Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Effect of Ultrasonic Waves on Oil Viscositypetroleum science and technology, vol. 32, no. 19, pp. 2387-2395Contributions to Journals: Articles
A role of ultrasonic waves on oil viscosity changes in porous mediaChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Formation of carbonates and PH variations in conditions representative of deep saline aquifersChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Application of sustainable foaming agents to control the mobility of carbon dioxide in enhanced oil recoveryEgyptian Journal of Petroleum, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 155-163Contributions to Journals: Articles
Prediction of oil reservoir porosity based on BP-ANNContributions to Conferences: Papers