Dr Roy Soiza
MB ChB MRCP(UK)
Honorary Clinical Reader
c/o Ageing Clinical & Experimental Research, University of Aberdeen, Room 1:128, Polwarth Building, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD United Kingdom
I graduated from Edinburgh University in 2000 and became a Member of the Royal College of Physicians in 2003. Later that year, I joined the North of Scotland training programme as a Specialist Registrar in Geriatric Medicine and General Internal Medicine. In 2006, I joined the University of Aberdeen as Clinical Lecturer in Elderly Medicine.
I was a Consultant Geriatrician with NHS Grampian from 2008 to 2018, before joining the General Medicine Department at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. I have held numerous roles in postgraduate medical training, including Training Programme Director for Core Medical Training and Geriatric Medicine and serving as Associate Postgraduate Dean from 2015-2017.
I was awarded an NRS Career Research Fellowship in April 2012.
- Consultant Physician, NHS Grampian
- Senior Editor, Age & Ageing 2020-
- Associate Editor, Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety 2010-, SAGE Open Medicine and SAGE Open Medical Reports 2012-,
- Editorial Board Member, American Journal of Cardiovascular Disease 2011-, BMC Health Services Research 2014-
- Growing Older in Scotland Report, Reference Group Member
- Reviewer, for numerous international medical journals and grant-awarding bodies including MRC, CSO, NIHR, Research Council of Norway, South African Medical Research Council and Italian Ministry of Education, Universities & Research
Other Recent Roles
Associate Postgraduate Dean (Medicine), NES, 1st Feb 2015 – 31st Aug 2017
NRS Career Research Fellow 2012-5
Treasurer, Scottish Society of Physicians, 2014-8
Executive Committee Member, Scottish Society of Physicians, 2012-8
Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network (SIGN), Delirium Guideline Development Group Member 2016-9, Dementia Guideline Group Member 2020-
Chair, Organising Committee, RCPE Geriatric Medicine Symposium 2019
Faculty Member, Faculty Development Alliance (formerly SCOTS Supervisor Training Courses), 2010-7
Electives Adviser, University of Aberdeen Medical School, 2010-8
Training Programme Director, North of Scotland Deanery
Core Medical Training 2010-3
Geriatric Medicine 2011-5
Educational Supervisor, Foundation Programme, GP and Specialty Registrars, 2008-
Chair, Medical Specialties Training Committee, North of Scotland Deanery 2013-2015
Member, RCP/BGS Geriatric Medicine Specialty Certificate Exam (SCE) Question Writing Group, 2009-14
Advisory Board Member, Otsuka Pharmaceuticals (UK), 2010-12
External Examiner, MSc (Hons) research theses, Dundee University and Flinders University 2012-6
Clinical Supervisor, Physician Associate course, University of Aberdeen 2013-5
‘Hospital to Home’ National Project Advisory Group Member, Institute for Research and Innovation in Social Services (IRISS), 2013-6
Expert panellist, for a number of Delphi expert panels, e.g. for the FORTA, OPERAM and PERFECTED clinical trials
I am interested in all aspects of health and disease in old age. My chief interests are hyponatraemia in older people and clinical pharmacology in old age. More recently, I have been working on COVID-19 therapy trials, and leading on vaccine trials. I have also researched polypharmacy, whole body vibration exercise, vascular ageing and cognitive ageing. I run clinical trials in older people but have wide experience in epidemiological and mechanistic studies, as well as systematic reviews.
I am the Aberdeen Principal Investigator for the NOVAVAX, MODERNA P-305 (omicron), Medicago, BiCARB, K-SWAY, LACE, RAINDROP and SENATOR randomised controlled trials.
I have an ongoing interest in hyponatraemia, most recently investigating the causes of hyponatraemia after head injury.
I also led Wave 4 of the Aberdeen 1936 Birth Cohort (ABC36) Study, a longitudinal cohort study of cognitive ageing.
I have supervised numerous undergraduate and postgraduate students from medical elective students to PhD candidates.
Funding and Grants
- ‘An evidence synthesis suite to inform a a future randomised trial of reducing anticholinergic related harm in older adults’, PK Myint, RL Soiza et al (6 co-investigators), Dunhill Medical Trust Ref No RPGF180666, £99,165
- ‘Oral iron, intravenous iron or discontinuation of therapy for older adults with treatment unresponsive iron deficiency anaemia- a pilot randomised controlled trial’, PK Myint, RL Soiza et al (7 co-investigators), CSO Grant Ref No HIPS/17/15, £283,555
- ‘Development and clinical trials of a new Software ENgine for the Assessment & optimization of drug and non-drug Therapy in Older persons (SENATOR)’, EU FP7 Project Grant, D O’Mahony, RL Soiza et al (12 co-investigators), €5,938,947
- ‘Does oral sodium bicarbonate therapy improve function and quality of life in older patients with chronic kidney disease and low-grade acidosis? A multicentre randomized placebo controlled trial’ NIHR HTA Grant 10/71, MD Witham, RL Soiza et al (10 co-investigators), £1,471,735
- ‘Vitamin K supplementation to reduce falls in older people – a multicentre trial’ CSO Grant CZH/4/1100, MD Witham, M McMurdo, P Donnan, P Mc Namee, RL Soiza, V Cvoro, £213,493
- ‘Assessment of association between slow muscle fibres of calf and postural integrity between elderly fallers and non fallers using MRI techniques – a proof of concept study’ NHS Grampian Endowment Fund Research Grant 14/19, PK Myint, SR Gray, J He, RL Soiza,£11,936
- Vascular ageing and hyponatraemia, NRS Career Researcher Fellowship, £123,010
- ‘Association of White Matter Lesions with Endothelial Dysfunction and Postural Blood Pressure Instability (ENDOW Study)’ NHS Grampian Endowment Fund Research Grant, £16,000, GE Hoyle, RL Soiza, DJP Williams, DG Seymour, AD Murray
- ‘Aberdeen 1936 Birth Cohort Study: Wave 4’ Development Trust Alzheimer’s Research Fund, £41,382, AD Murray, RL Soiza, LJ Whalley
- 'Association of Postural Blood Pressure Instability with Arterial Stiffness and Endothelial Dysfunction' NHSG Endowments No. 08/26 £8,667, RL Soiza, S Saha, GE Hoyle, DJP Williams
- ‘The role of serum urate in cognitive decline’ Tenovus Scotland Project Grant G09/20 £9,456, RL Soiza, AD Murray, L Phillips, RT Staff
- ‘The association between plasma nitrite levels and degree of endothelial function measured by pulse wave analysis’ 50% NHSG Endowments No. 09/19 & 50% British Geriatrics Society SpR Start-up Grant - £13,704, RL Soiza, S Saha, DJP Williams, IJ Megson
- ‘Arginine Methylation: the missing link between vascular risk and Alzheimer’s disease severity’. NHS Grampian Endowments Research Grant 11/08, £9,084 AA Mangoni, RL Soiza, D Mowat
- ‘Can asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) predict cognitive decline?’ NHS Grampian Endowments Research Grant No 11/07, £11,789, AA Mangoni, F Thies, RL Soiza, RT Staff
Page 1 of 14 Results 1 to 10 of 136
Does estimated glomerular filtration rate predict in-hospital mortality in acutely unwell hospitalized oldest old?Geriatrics, vol. 7, no. 6, 135Contributions to Journals: Articles
Safety and Efficacy of the NVX-CoV2373 COVID-19 Vaccine at Completion of the Placebo-Controlled Phase of a Randomized Controlled TrialClinical Infectious DiseasesContributions to Journals: Articles
Baricitinib in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (RECOVERY): a randomised, controlled, open-label, platform trial and updated meta-analysisThe Lancet, vol. 400, no. 10349, pp. 359-368Contributions to Journals: Articles
Comparison of the Clinical Frailty Score (CFS) to the National Emergency Laparotomy Audit (NELA) Risk Calculator in all patients undergoing emergency laparotomy.Colorectal Disease, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 782-789Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Relationship Between Nutritional Status at the Time of Stroke on Adverse Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Cohort StudiesNutrition ReviewsContributions to Journals: Articles
Editor’s viewAge and Ageing, vol. 51, no. 5, afac122Contributions to Journals: Editorials
Body Mass Index and Mortality, Recurrence and Readmission after Myocardial Infarction: Systematic Review and Meta-analysisJournal of Clinical Medicine, vol. 11, no. 9, 2581Contributions to Journals: Articles
Efficacy and Safety of a Recombinant Plant-Based Adjuvanted Covid-19 VaccineThe New England Journal of MedicineContributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of perindopril or leucine on physical performance in older people with sarcopenia: the LACE randomized controlled trialJournal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 858-871Contributions to Journals: Articles
Casirivimab and imdevimab in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (RECOVERY): a randomised, controlled, open-label, platform trialThe Lancet, vol. 399, no. 10325, pp. 665-676Contributions to Journals: Articles