I have worked in higher education, community education, the trade union movement and the voluntary sector. In higher education, I have been a law lecturer, worked in the University of Aberdeen’s former Centre for Lifelong Learning and I am currently a Senior Lecturer in Education.
In the late 1990s, I led the Trade Union Congress partnership project Bargaining for Skills, in the East and West Midlands regions in England, working with trade unions, employers, colleges and Training and Enterprise Councils. I have also been an adult education tutor and worked for the National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux (NACAB) and a local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
- Member of the Centre for Citizenship, Civil Society, and Rule of Law (CISRUL)
- Training Coordinator for the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie programme with Early Stage Researchers researching how political concepts are used in the world (POLITICO) 2018-
- Member of the University's Research Culture Task and Finish Group 2020-
- Mental Health First Aider 2020-
- School of Education Lead for Social Inclusion and Cultural Diversity research
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Rocking Horse Nursery 2019-
- Casework Officer for the Aberdeen branch of the University and College Union (UCU) 2019-2021
- Member of Senate Effectiveness Review Group 2019-2021
- External Memberships
- Hub Lead for Society and Welfare Hub Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (SGSSS) (Scotland's ESRC DTP) 2021-
- Editor of Human Rights Education Review 2021-
- External Examiner University of Stirling, EdD Doctor of Education and MRes (Education) 2021-2025
- External Examiner Coventry University, BA Early Years, Childhood and Education Studies 2021-25
- Education Pathway Convenor for Scottish Graduate School of Social Science 2018-2021
- External Examiner University of Warwick, Initial Teacher Training (Further Education) 2018-2021
- External Examiner St Mary's University, Twickenham MA Leading Innovation and Change 2014-2018
- Co-convenor Network 6 Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures European Educational Research Association 2017-
- Executive Committee Member of the Scottish Educational Research Association 2016-2021
- Community Learning and Development Standards Council Registered Member and Approvals Panel Member 2014-
- Member of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction
- Member of the British Educational Research Association
Prizes and Awards
Collaborative Award for Teaching Excellence (Advance HE)
Teaching Qualification Further Education/ BA Professional Development Team, 2021
Professional learning and mentoring covering both formal and informal learning, in particular teacher induction.
Children and young people's rights combine my legal and community work background and my interest in social justice.
I am currently accepting PhDs in Education.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Co-Investigator of Measuring Quality in Initial Teacher Education (MQuITE)
University students mentoring school students
Children's Human Rights in Education
This includes Human Rights Education and young people and participation in decision-making.
I am a member of an international research network Children’s Human Rights Education which is being funded by the Swedish Research Council between 2021 and 2025. Thirteen members of the European Educational Research Association Network 25 aim to strengthen international collaboration in research into human rights education for children. Theory development, joint publications and funding applications are planned. The network also aims to find and invite researchers from regions that are underrepresented in children’s rights research.
I am collaborating with colleagues at the University of Southern Queensland and the University of Portsmouth on the inclusion of Human Rights Education in the school curriculum.
Current PhD Students
- Touria Jouilla - Exploring student services in Further Education access programmes, lead supervisor with Dr Steph Thomson
- Elise Boyle Espinosa - Education in the Islamic State, as part of the Politico project, lead supervisor with Prof Pamela Abbott and Dr Hanifi Baris
- Chris Gray - Community Music, lead supervisor with Sarah Cornelius
- Tracy Edwards - The Translation and Enactment of the Principle of Inclusive Pedagogy by Experienced Teachers, supervisor with Dr Kirsten Darling McQuistan and Prof Mhairi Beaton
2021 Annette Moir - Exploration of children’s awareness of their coping strategies and enhancement of their resilience skills
2020 David Di Domenico - Educators' views, experiences and approaches to cultural diversity: understanding pre-registration adult nursing education at a Scottish university
2020 Maryam Alnoaimi - Citizenship Education in the Kingdom of Bahrain: A case study exploring perceptions of school principals, senior teachers, teachers and students
2019 Ramona Statache - Business Social Media Use by Remote Rural Micro Tourism Enterprises in the Scottish Highlands
2019 Madhawi Alharbi - Using Mobile Games in Teaching English as a Foreign Language Vocabulary at a Saudi Female High School
2019 Khanchai Wongchana - Thai University Student and Teacher Perceptions of Studying Tourism through English Using a CLIL Approach
2017 David Johnston - A Socio-Cultural Perspective on 'Belonging'
2017 Geraldine Prince - Art-Making and the Interpretation of Cultures: Cross-cultural teaching and learning in Edinburgh and Dubai
Funding and Grants
In 2021 I received pump-prime funding for interdisciplinary research from the University of Aberdeen for work on the Affordability and Sustainability of School Uniform. This pilot study has investigated the impact of school uniform banks on the affordability and sustainability of school uniforms in Scotland.
Principal Investigator of BERA COVID-19 research: New teachers’ responses to COVID-19: building on Initial Teacher Education for their professional learning.
Co-Investigator of Measuring Quality of Initial Teacher Education (MQuITE) in Scotland funded by the Scottish Government 2017- A longitudinal study involving all higher education institutions that provide initial teacher education in Scotland.
Co-Investigator of EU Marie Curie COFUND grant (2018-22) Political Concepts in the World (POLITICO). The POLITICO PhD programme builds on the success of the interdisciplinary training provided by the University of Aberdeen’s Centre for Citizenship, Civil Society and the Rule of Law (CISRUL), which specializes in the global application of political ideas.
- ED1521 - Learning From Work
- ED505P Using NVivo for Qualitative Data Analysis
Course Co-ordinator for:
SX1011 Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities
ED1521 Learning from Work
ED505P Using NVivo for Qualitative Data Analysis
Non-course Teaching Responsibilities
NVivo training for staff and postgraduate students
Page 6 of 6 Results 51 to 53 of 53
The professional learning of new teachers in ScotlandContributions to Conferences: Papers
The Reading Bus, “A capital idea”Contributions to Conferences: Papers
Review of 'Induction: Fostering career development at all stages'Scottish Educational Review, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 113-114Contributions to Journals: Reviews of Books, Films and Articles