Chair in Engineering
- PhD in Electrical Engineering from University of Auckland,1999,
- Diploma Engineer in Control Systems from University of Belgrade, 1993.
- Postgraduate certificate in University teaching from University of Ulster, 2003.
- Director, Aberdeen HVDC research centre, September 2015 - present
- Professor, University of Aberdeen, UK, August 2012 - present
- Reader, University of Aberdeen, UK, August 2011 - August 2012,
- Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK, August 2008 - August 2011,
- Visiting professor, McGill University, Canada, July 2008- December 2008,
- Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK, September 2004 - August 2008,
- Lecturer, University of Ulster, UK, April 2000 – August 2004,
- Design Engineer, Beca Carter Hollings and Ferner, and Transpower NZ Ltd, New Zealand, 1998-2000
- Fellow of IET,
- IEEE Senior member,
- IEEE PES Distinguished Lecturer,
- CIGRE member, Chairman B4.76, Member of WG B4.52, B4.58, B4.64, B4.80,
- Associate editor: IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery,
- Assiciate Editor IEEE Access,
- Assiciate editor, CIGRE Science and Engineering, (B4 representative),
- Guest editor in Chief: IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Special issue on Frontiers of Dc technology, 2016,
- Guest editor in Chief: IET Power Electronics, Special issue on DC grids, 2015,
- Member of senate 2016-
- EngD degree coordinator 2006-20015,
- Course coordinator (numerous courses) 2000-
His research interests are in the areas of High Power Electronics, High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission, DC transmission grids, Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS), Interconnection of renewable energy, Power system modelling and control.
- High Power DC networks,
- DC/DC conversion at MW powers,
- DC Circuit Breakers,
- High Voltage DC Transmission,
- Flexible AC Transmission,
- Wind energy,
- Integration of Renewable Energy,
- Power system modelling and control.
Some Institutions that collaborated on externally-funded reserch projects:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) - China,
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) - China,
- China Electric Power Research Institute(CEPRI), China,
- Ryerson Universty, Canada,
- McGill University, Canada,
- CERN, Switzerland,
- Reseau de Transport D'Electricite, France,
- Ecole Centrale de Lille, France,
- Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE), UK,
- Strathclyde University, UK,
- Edinburgh University, UK,
- Glasgow University, UK,
- Heriot Watt University, UK,
- ABB, Sweden,
- Mitsubishi Electric, UK,
- TU DELFT, Netherlands,
- DNV-GL, Netherlands,
- Supergrid Institute, France,
- Numerous (39) partners on EU poject Promotion: https://www.promotion-offshore.net/
EU Funded Research grants:
- EU Horizon 2020, PROMOTion (Progress on Multiterminal DC networks)”, WP6 leader, January 2016-June 2020, https://www.promotion-offshore.net/
- European Research Council, ERC, Starting grant, "Modelling platforms for high-power resonant DC hub and power networks with multiple converter systems", March 2011- September 2015.
EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) Funded Research grants:
- EPSRC grant no EP/K006428/1 and NSFC China, a consortium of 2 UK and 3 Chinese Universities, Principal investigator “Developing DC networks with DC transformers”, June 2013-June 2016
- EPSRC grant no EP/H010262/1, "Development of DC Transformer and Fault Current Limiter for High-Power DC networks", Principal investigator, December 2009- December 2012.
- EPSRC grant no GR/R11377/01: “Analytical Modelling of FACTS Elements”, Principal investigator, January 2001 - October 2003,
Scottish Funding council Major Research Grants:
- SFC HORIZON and ERDF, "SHAPED –Scottish Hub for Advanced Power Engineering Design)" , June 2011 – June 2014
- Scottish Enterprise, "Prototype development for High Gain DC transformer" Proof of Concept award, January 2010 – July 2011,
- AU Knowledge Transfer Grant "High gain DC Transformer", 2007 - 2009,
- KTP in collaboration with PACT Engineering, "Development of Drivetrain for PIGASYS", September 2007 - September 2009.
Industry Funded Major Research Grants:
- RTE (Réseau de Transport d'Électricité, France) “DC grids with full-bridge MMC and DC CBs” Post Doc fellow, September 2014 -December 2016.
- SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy) "Isolated multiterminal DC/DC converter for high power DC grids” “Post Doctoral fellow, January 2015- August 2016.
- SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy) "Optimisation of Moray Firth HVDC” “PhD studentships, February 2013-July 2016.
- RTE (Réseau de Transport d'Électricité, France) “Development of RTE NorthSea DC grid” Post Doc fellow, July 2012 -December 2013
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Global Research Fellowship "Advanced Converter Systems for Thyristor based HVDC", July 2008 - December 2008.
- Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE), UK, 2012-2013,
- Supernode, Ireland, 2019-2020,
- CERN (European Centre for Nuclear Research), Geneva, "Accelerator power supply modelling and control", 2003-2007,
- PACT Engineering, Scotland, "Drivetrain modelling for a PIGASYS robot tool", 2007,
Aberdeen HVDC Research centre laboratory:
5kV, 2kA, DC Circuit Breaker test bench:
30kW, 200V/900V Thyristor-based DC/DC:
30kW, 200V/900V IGBT-based DC/DC:
D Jovcic teaches Electrical Engineering year 3 and 4 subjects:
- Electrical Power Engineering (EG3557) and
- Electrical Machines and Drives (EG40FD).
He also teaches postgraduate courses:
- Renewable technologies (Electrical) (EG50E2) and
- Power distribution and sustainability (EG55E1).
He is a coordinator for the professional doctorate degree (EngD).
- Further Info
- IET Fellow,
- Senior member IEEE, Control systems Society, Power and Energy Society and Power Electronics Society.
- IEEE PES Distinguished Lecturer,
- Associate editor IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery,
- Associate editor IEEE Access,
- Associate editor CIGRE Science and Enginerring Journal,
- IEEE Distingushed lecturer,
- CIGRE B4, Member,
- Chairman CIGRE B4.76,
- CIGRE WG member: B4.52, B4.64, B4.58, B4.72, B4.80.
CIGRE B4.52 meeting, Aberdeen, June 2011:
CIGRE B4.72 meeting, Aberdeen, April 2016:
CIGRE B4.76 meeting, Aberdeen, April 2017:
EPSRC-NSFC project meeting, Aberdeen, June 2013:
EU Project Promotion, WP6 meeting, Aberdeen, June 2016: