Professor Sir Ian Diamond has welcomed a guarantee from HM Treasury that protects future European research funding and will allow UK universities to continue to bid for funding while the UK remains part of the EU.
In a package of measures announced today, Chancellor Philip Hammond has promised that where UK universities apply for funding under the Horizon 2020 research programme while Britain is still a member of the EU, the Treasury will underwrite the payments of awards even when specific projects continue beyond the UK’s departure.
Professor Diamond said: “I am delighted with the assurances that have been provided by the Chancellor, which provide much-needed clarity on the status of future European research funding while the UK remains part of the EU. It is welcome that the Chancellor has listened to requests from across the sector, such as those I made to the Science and Technology Select Committee on behalf of Universities UK.
"At the University of Aberdeen there are a number of important projects that rely on this funding – for example our research into next-generation MRI scanners and into special imaging techniques to aid life-saving drug development – and this announcement provides confidence that this type of vital work can continue.
“Of course, there are other areas where clarity is still required, for example the status of EU students who will be arriving at the University from 2017 and I will continue to press both the UK and the Scottish Governments for assurances on these important matters, for example on Monday when I meet a number of MSPs."
Read the full announcement from HM Treasury here:
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018