Dr Margaret Watson, a senior research fellow at the University of Aberdeen, has been awarded a prestigious Health Foundation Improvement Science Fellowship.
Dr Watson is the first Scotland-based researcher to receive this fellowship.
The three year fellowship, which is entitled Patient and public involvement (PPI) in developing quality improvement standards, indicators and measures for community pharmacy, will look at patient and public involvement in the development of quality standards, indicators and measures for community pharmacy practice.
The management of minor illness in community pharmacies increases capacity within the NHS and has the potential to reduce the burden of inappropriate consultations in emergency departments and general practices. Dr Watson’s research will use mixed methods to explore methods of optimising community pharmacy practice in terms of the management of these conditions.
Dr Watson will adopt a patient-/public-involvement (PPI) approach to the development of quality standards, indicators and measures for the community pharmacy-based management of acute consultations with the purpose of defining, measuring and improving existing practice. PPI would occur in tandem with community pharmacy personnel. This research will contribute to improvement science by:
- creating evidence-based quality standards of practice that reflects patient/public needs;
- exploring community pharmacy personnel engagement with quality improvement and improvement science;
- comparing quality standards derived by two different PPI methods.
Dr Watson said: “I am delighted to have received this fellowship, as this will enable me to maximise the contribution that community pharmacy can make to healthcare service delivery and patient benefit, including greater patient empowerment to engage in the self-management of their health, with anticipated improved health outcomes and greater quality of life.”
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018