It's that time of year again, when the Special Collections Centre holds its annual Flash Fiction Competition for Book Week Scotland.
The competition invites members of the public to take inspiration from four fabulous images from the University of Aberdeen’s historic manuscripts, archives and rare book collections, and write a 500-word story.
There are two competition catgeories, with an adult competition open to those aged 14+, and a children’s competition for 8-13 year-olds.
Dr Helen Lynch from the University’s School of Language and Literature will judge the adult category, while award-winning Children’s author Caroline Clough will choose a winner from the younger age group. The winner of the adult category will receive a £50 national book token, while the winner of the children’s section will receive a £10 book token and also a goodie bag provided by Waterstones.
Siobhán Convery, Head of Special Collections, said: “The Special Collections Centre is delighted to once again be running the Flash Fiction competition. This annual event always proves to be extremely popular and we receive a high calibre of entries across both age categories.
“It is always fascinating to see what inspiration writers take from the different images and I am sure that our judges will have as difficult a task picking winners as they have in previous years.”
The deadline for submissions is midnight on Monday, October 27. For further information about the competition and details on how to enter, visit www.abdn.ac.uk/library/about/special
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018