University of Aberdeen student Zoey Clark has been named in Scotland's athletics team for this summer's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
The 19-year-old Chemical Engineering student has been selected as part of the 4x400m relay team.
“I’m absolutely thrilled!” Zoey said. “Ever since Glasgow won the right to host the Games, It’s always been in the back of my mind that was the one I wanted to be at.
“I knew there’d be other chances in the future, but to represent your country at a home event is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Now that it’s actually happened, it feels a bit surreal.
“I’ve had a strong season, which started with me running a very big personal best. But you can never tell what’s going to happen. There are so many external factors that come into play. I was relieved to get the call."
Zoey has been in fine form this season, representing Scotland at a historic indoor meet in Glasgow in January and last month smashing the Aberdeen AAC senior women’s 400m record.
“The event in Glasgow in January was a good tester for how the Commonwealth Games might be. Because it was indoor, everything was contained, and the atmosphere was amazing.
“This is going to be a big learning curve. Because I didn’t know I was going to be selected, I haven’t sat down with my coach to work out what I want to get out of the event. Now that I know I’m going, I can think about what I am hoping to do."
Also representing Team Scotland in the will be Olympic Gold medal para-cyclist and University graduate Neil Fachie MBE.
Team Scotland has set a target of winning at least 34 medals at the Games.
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018