The author of the critically acclaimed book The Viking Way has been invited by Cornell University to hold a series of Messenger Lectures, open to the public and faculty at their Ithaca campus in upstate New York.
Professor Price will speak this September on the theme of ‘The Viking Mind’, and during his week-long visit will also give a number of seminars for Cornell postgraduates.
The Messenger Lectures on the Evolution of Civilisation are among the most prestigious of their kind in the academic world and previous scholars include Bronislaw Malinowski, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Richard Feynman, Edward O. Wilson, Edward Said, Jürgen Habermas and Bruno Latour.
The lectures were established in 1924 with a donation from the mathematician Hiram Messenger and have as their purpose “to provide a course of lectures on the evolution of civilization, for the special purpose of raising the moral standards of our political, business and social life”.
Originally given by one lecturer each year, since 1960 the Messengers have been held each semester, with two speakers per annum.
Messenger Scholars are appointed from all disciplines and from any country in the world.
Professor Price is the first Messenger Scholar to have been invited from Aberdeen, and the third from Scotland; he is the eighth archaeologist to present the lectures.
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018