Innovative technology developed by engineers at the University of Aberdeen scooped a prestigious international industry accolade at a ceremony in London last week.
GRANIT - (Ground Anchorage Integrity Testing) - is a major artificial intelligence based breakthrough in non-destructive testing systems for ground anchorages and rock bolts used to support for example, tunnels, mines and retaining walls.
The technology has the potential to provide an improved health and safety environment for individual mine and tunnel workers, and can be used as part of a regular condition monitoring regime in order to protect and safeguard the tunnel or mine. It is currently licensed to Halcrow plc.
GRANIT won the Product and Equipment Innovation category in the International Ground Engineering Awards, which celebrate cutting-edge technology and outstanding practice in the ground engineering industry.
This is the latest in a series of prestigious accolades the technology has received.
The University of Aberdeen’s GRANIT Team comprises Professor Albert Rodger, Vice-Principal for External Affairs and Drs Richard Neilson, Ana Ivanovic and Andrew Starkey from the institution’s School of Engineering.
Professor Rodger accepted the award at a ceremony held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London on May 4 which was attended by approximately 400 leaders in consultancy and contracting in the geotechnical engineering industry.
Professor Rodger said: “The achievement of this major international award from industry is strong recognition of the major contribution to safety in the construction and mining industries, being made by the highly innovative GRANIT testing system.
“The technology is a prime example of research conducted at the University of Aberdeen which is being developed and applied very effectively in industry.“
For more information on GRANIT visit www.granituk.com/
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018