The first edition of a new legal journal produced exclusively by students of the University of Aberdeen will be launched today (Thursday July 29).
It is only the second student-led publication of its kind in Scotland and provides a platform for scholarly discussion of the law.
The journal, written and edited by the students of the University’s Law School, has proved popular with both undergraduate and postgraduate students and almost 70 essays were submitted for consideration by the editorial board.
Seven articles, covering a wide range of topics from environmental justice to Sharia law and the Union of 1707 were selected for publication in the inaugural edition of the Aberdeen Student Law Review.
Dominic Scullion, Managing Editor and a postgraduate law student, said: “Writing about the law is as important as reading about it or discussing it. It forces us to research more extensively and, it is hoped, to broaden our legal minds.
“It encourages us to think about the other sides to an argument and to pursue our own case armed with increased knowledge.
“It is what lawyers from this university have been doing since 1495 and we are delighted that we now have a new platform which we hope will help to develop the lawyers of the future.”
The foreword to the review has been written by the Hon Lord Woolman, Senator of the College of Justice. He said: “The launch of the Aberdeen Student Law Review is very welcome. It suggests that the study and analysis of law in Scotland is in good heart. The students who have taken the initiative with this venture are to be congratulated on their enterprise.”
Margaret Ross, Head of the School of Law, University of Aberdeen, added: “I am delighted by the standard of work published and the volume of articles submitted to the journal for consideration.
“The Aberdeen Student Law Review will add further to the skills and employability of our students.”
A copy of the first edition of the Aberdeen Student Law Review will now be send to law schools across Scotland and England. It can also be accessed online at www.abdn.ac.uk/law/aslr
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018