The role of architecture in inspiring learning was the theme for a meeting of the Cross Party Group for Architecture and the Built Environment at The Scottish Parliament on Wednesday November 18.
The designs for the new University of Aberdeen libraryfeatured in the event along with plans for Glasgow School of Art buildings, and University of Edinburgh’s Informatics Forum.
The meeting was convened and hosted by Robin Harper MSP,a former rector of both Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
Professor Chris Gane, Vice-Principal, and Head of College of Arts and Social Science, and Morten Schmidt, Architects, Schmidt Hammer Lassen presented on behalf of Aberdeen together with Angus Donaldson, Director of Estates.
Professor Gane said: “We were delighted to get the opportunity to talk to parliamentarians and the architectural and design community about our plans for the library and the university.
“It was an important and worthwhile exchange, and we were struck by the remarkable synergies on issues between all three institutions.
“There is no doubt that architecture plays a huge role in the international competitiveness of universities and their contribution to the public realm. The need for continued public investment has never been greater.”
Cross-Party Groups (CPGs) provide an opportunity for MSPs of all parties, outside organisations and members of the public to meet and discuss a shared interest in a particular cause or subject
Further information on the new library can be found at www.abdn.ac.uk/newlibrary
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018