When you start working for the University of Aberdeen, you join a diverse, close-knit and supportive community committed to excellence in learning, teaching and research. Our strategic motto “A world with greater knowledge” shines through everything we do: we pride ourselves on five Nobel Prizes, with our main research themes addressing some of the key challenges of contemporary society, such as environment, energy and healthy living.
As the third oldest higher education institution in Scotland with a five-century-long tradition of education, the University is consistently ranked among the world's top 200 universities (QS World Rankings and Sunday Times World University Rankings) and 90% of our research activity is of international quality (REF 2014). While we recognise and cherish our past, we are also investing in the future: we boast one of the largest wireless campuses in Europe, having invested £300m in campus development and state-of-the-art facilities.
Our Sir Duncan Rice Library, opened in 2012, was ranked as one of The Independent’s top 10 “spell-binding university libraries in the world”. The Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, which has been part of the University since 2008 and is situated in one of Europe’s largest health campuses, is a leading centre for cutting-edge health and nutrition research with a 100-year history.
Why you should apply for a job at the University of Aberdeen
Wondering whether to apply for a position at the University of Aberdeen? Here is just a handful of the reasons you should:
- Aberdeen is Scotland’s safest university city (Complete University Guide) and the economic powerhouse of Scotland.
- North-east Scotland is consistently rated the ideal environment in which to live and work (Mercers global rankings).
- The University boasts a truly international community, with 3,000 staff and 16,000 students from 120 nationalities.
- Its historic King’s College campus is situated in Old Aberdeen – just a stone’s throw from the beach and a short walk into the city.
- Libraries have an impressive 1,050,000 volumes and counting.
- Outstanding sports facilities include Olympic-standard Aberdeen Sports Village and Aquatic Centre, with free membership for university staff.
- High-quality personal and professional development: The University has been commended for its International Leadership Programme (Times Higher Award) and its Researcher Development Programme (Human Resources Excellence Award from the European Commission).