Last modified: 27 Feb 2018 13:46
This course provides opportunities to acquire advanced knowledge, understanding and skills in self evaluation and critical reflection of practice, collaborative working, professional learning and professional portfolio development. The course will help early career teachers to develop the confidence, knowledge, intellectual and practical skills required to take forward their practice in these areas. Participants will critically engage in professional reading, thinking, writing; engage in the process of self evaluation and reflect on impact of approaches used on self and others; engage in professional learning action planning; engage in and reflect on role and impact of collaborative learning on own learning.
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||30 credits (15 ECTS credits)|
Key course content includes:
· Concepts of reflection/evaluation in and on action and of reflection/evaluation leading to practice change.
· Different levels of evaluation/reflection
· Reflection/Evaluation tools (techniques) – principles and practices - why use/how to use effectively; reflections on use of techniques and impact on learning and professional practice eg
· Engagement in Professional learning/learning communities - being a member of a professional learning community – ways of working – why, what, how, impact
· Critical reflection (SFR)/self evaluation - skills/processes/tools
· Evidence based reflective practice
· Professional learning/development action planning, implementation and impact evaluation – rationale; approaches; learning logs; critical incident log;
· Use of technology to support self evaluation of professional practice and impact evaluation of new practice interventions arising from professional learning;
· Professional learning conversations;
· Maintaining reflective learning journal; diary; log; blog
· Unpacking the new Professional Standards
· Portfolio Development – evidence gathering (eg learning logs; profiles; PDAPs; professional discussions; reflections on professional practice; CPD summaries and reflections)
· Critical reading, thinking and reflections on related policy/research/other professional literature
· Reflective Reporting
Information on contact teaching time is available from the course guide.
1st attempt: This course requires a peer presentation and the submission of a Reflective Report and supporting Portfolio of evidence that demonstrates enhanced professional practice as a teacher in terms of the SFR. The Portfolio will consist of evidence covering CPL/CPD matched to relevant standards in the SFR with a particular focus on those in participants CPL plan. The Reflective Report should highlight learning and professional growth through the activities outlined in the portfolio. Specific evidence submitted will include: • Peer presentation (equivalent to 2000 words) (f2f or virtual) of outcomes of PDAP/CPL plan – rationale, learning, impact, next steps – with supporting portfolio evidence • Reflective commentary (4000 words) • Supporting Professional Portfolio Resit: There will be one opportunity to resubmit the work completed, as revised, to take account of identified inadequacies in the original.
There are no assessments for this course.