Undergraduate Microbiology 2023-2024
MC3504: MOLECULAR MICROBIOLOGY
- this course provides core information to prepare you for advanced studies in the areas of molecular microbiology and infectious diseases;
- in depth knowledge will be provided for the advanced study of microbes and their impact on all areas of life and society;
- you will participate in a practical that provides you with an insight into a real-life research project providing skills in experimental design, data analysis, practical laboratory skills and research publication;
- wider transferrable skills including problem solving and data interpretation are aimed at developing graduate attributes and employability
MC4014: HONOURS MICROBIOLOGY - OPTION 1
- A course detailing how gut environmental factors, including anaerobiosis and pH, impact on the composition of the human colonic microbiota and virome
- A course in which lecture material is supported by bioinformatics workshops using various online software packages which are primarily DNA sequence-based to study and profile complex microbial communities.
- Contains a research literature based tutorial in which you are provided with research papers and prepare an essay.
- Incorporates lectures detailing different mechanisms underlying the regulation of bacterial gene expression including different strategies for bacterial gene regulation and bacterial strategies that contributes to the spread of antibiotic resistance genes between bacteria.
MC4314: HONOURS MICROBIOLOGY - OPTION 2
- understanding the fundamental processes of microbial infections of animals and plants;
- this course provides detailed information on cellular & molecular processes that determine successful infection strategies of fungi, oomycetes, bacteria;
- this advanced course also informs you about microbe-host interactions, microbial stress adaptation, disease control and host resistance strategies;
- you will give a small presentation and participate in tutorials discussing microbial infection strategies based on research papers, which will help prepare you for your final exams