Last modified: 16 Aug 2021 13:45
In this course, basic concepts of Western tonal music such as primary triads, cadences, idiomatic chord progressions, and voice leading are taught using exercises in harmonic analysis, figured bass, and part writing. More advanced concepts such as secondary dominants and chromatically-altered chords are also introduced. In parallel to lectures and seminars, students will work with software designed to reinforce key concepts such as clefs, intervals, key signatures, and scale structures.
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)|
This ten week course is designed to provide a fundamental knowledge of how music works and to ensure musical parity in all students as they progress to the later years and more advanced sections of the degree.The course deals, in the main, with harmony and counterpoint, the lexicon of music, musical appreciation and introduces basic musicology and composition.
Main Learning Outcomes
1) To demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fundamental concepts of Western tonal music
2) To apply methods of aural and written analysis to all musical endeavours
3) To be able to use notation effectively and (where appropriate) with performers
4) To demonstrate knowledge and understanding of various approaches and methods, with particular understanding of practices and idioms of music in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries
5) To be able to use skills developed in more formal compositional contexts and to deploy techniques learned effectively
6) To have the musical 'tools' that can be applied to all musical endeavours
7) To give all students the confidence, belief and skills to progress in the later stages of the degree
Information on contact teaching time is available from the course guide.
Online multiple choice exam (40%)
Alternative Resit Arrangements for students taking course in Academic Year 2020/21
Resit: Resubmission of the failed assignments; online exam (100%)
There are no assessments for this course.
|Knowledge Level||Thinking Skill||Outcome|
|Factual||Remember||ILO’s for this course are available in the course guide.|