Last modified: 31 May 2022 13:19
The aim of the course is to provide students with a basic understanding and concepts of control systems. The course starts by introducing basic concepts of feedback control systems using a number of practical examples. Mathematical modelling of physical systems and representing them in block diagrams with transfer functions are presented. Basic control system response characteristics (stability, transient response, steady state response) and analysis and design procedures are introduced using first and second order systems. Analysis of control systems using Routh-Hurwitz criterion, root locus, and Bode plot methods are considered.
|Session||First Sub Session||Credit Points||15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)|
1. Basic System Concepts: Open loop systems; closed loop systems; feedback; disturbances; sensitivity.
2. Models: Differential equations; characteristics of linear system; significant non-linearities; transfer functions; block diagrams and block diagram algebra;
modelling of electromechanical and electrohydraulic components and systems; characteristic equation.
3. Time domain performance analysis: test inputs; transient and steady state response; response parameters; poles; stability; Routh-Hurwitz; low order
systems and approximations.
4. Root locus analysis & design: Control system performance analysis using root locus method. Control system design using root locus method: PID controllers
and lead-lag compensators.
5. Frequency domain analysis & design: Graphical presentation, Bode diagrams; frequency domain stability criterion; gain and phase margins. Frequency
domain compensation using Bode diagrams, lead and lag compensators.
Information on contact teaching time is available from the course guide.
On Campus Class Test (10%)
Online Exam (60%)
Alternative Resit Arrangements
Resit of only the failed assessment component(s)
There are no assessments for this course.
|Knowledge Level||Thinking Skill||Outcome|
|Factual||Remember||ILO’s for this course are available in the course guide.|
We have detected that you are have compatibility mode enabled or are using an old version of Internet Explorer. You either need to switch off compatibility mode for this site or upgrade your browser.