Skip to Content


Last modified: 28 Jun 2018 10:27

Course Overview

The aim of the course is to introduce basic concepts of electrical & electronics within a context of general engineering. The topics covered are kept at an elementary level with the aim of providing the foundational material for subsequent courses at levels 1 and 2. The course adopts the philosophy of application oriented teaching. During each topic the students will be provided with examples of day-to-day devices. Topics covered include dc circuit analysis, electronic amplifiers, digital circuits, optoelectronics, and ac theory.

Course Details

Study Type Undergraduate Level 1
Session First Sub Session Credit Points 15 credits (7.5 ECTS credits)
Campus None. Sustained Study No
  • Dr Thangavel Thevar

Qualification Prerequisites


What courses & programmes must have been taken before this course?

  • Engineering (EG)
  • Any Undergraduate Programme (Studied)

What other courses must be taken with this course?


What courses cannot be taken with this course?


Are there a limited number of places available?


Course Description

1.     Atomic Theory: The Bohr atom, electrons, protons and neutrons; atomic number, Avogadro’s number; ions, electrons and movement of charge. Quantify electric charge and its relationship with electric current; Flashlamps.

2.     Basic Electrical Theory: Energy of an electron and voltage, resistance, and power, e.m.f. and potential difference. Ohm’s law and series and parallel resistors, resistivity and temperature coefficient of resistance. Conductors and insulators and lightning. Analysis and design of basic electric circuits; heating appliances such as toasters, kettles and electric blankets. SI units.

3.     Introduction to ac principles: ac waveforms, relationship between voltage, current, and power in resistive circuits, frequency and phase, RMS.

4.     Electromagnetic waves: Introduce electromagnetic spectrum – gamma rays to radio waves; wave propagation; wave modulation (FM & AM), communications, light and lasers.

5.     Basic Analogue Electronics: Diodes and rectifiers, zeners and stabilisers, transistors and simple amplifiers, photodiodes, LEDs and laser diodes. Operational amplifiers, inverting and non-inverting, summing and difference and comparators. LED/photodiode communication system.

 6.    Basic Digital Electronics: Introduction to logic circuits, AND, OR, NOR gates and truth tables.. . Boolean algebra. Examples of combinational logic. Algebraic simplifications. Numeric and alphabetic codes. Adder circuits. BCD to seven segment display.. D/A converter for control of optical display.

Contact Teaching Time

Information on contact teaching time is available from the course guide.

Teaching Breakdown

More Information about Week Numbers

Details, including assessments, may be subject to change until 31 August 2023 for 1st half-session courses and 22 December 2023 for 2nd half-session courses.

Summative Assessments

1st Attempt: One written examination of three-hours duration (80%) and continuous assessment based on the laboratory/design exercises (20%).

Resit: One written examination of three-hours duration (80%), with previous coursework marks used to make up the remaining (20%).

Formative Assessment

Students will have their log book and lab reports assessed on several occasions during the half session, and these will be returned to them with markers' comments. There will also be opportunities for informal formative assessment and feedback in the weekly tutorial sessions.


a)     Students can receive feedback on their progress with the Course on request at the bi-weekly tutorial/feedback sessions or by making appointments to see the course coordinator.

 b)    Students requesting feedback on their exam performance should make an appointment with the course coordinator within 2 weeks of the publication of the exam results.

 c)     Students can obtain feedback on their understanding of key aspects of the course through self-administered MyAberdeen quizzes or through example questions during lectures.

Course Learning Outcomes


Compatibility Mode

We have detected that you are have compatibility mode enabled or are using an old version of Internet Explorer. You either need to switch off compatibility mode for this site or upgrade your browser.